PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Sander

Dingo
7th January 2003, 10:50 PM
Have read all the "guff" on this and sounds good.Is it worth buying.Would like any info.from user as to its advantages and cost savings over hand sanding.

Thanks to Brudda on his advise on bowl finishes

ubeaut
8th January 2003, 08:18 AM
Heres a blatant piece of advertising if ever there was one.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/rotary1.htm

Not only do we sell 'em but also use 'em. Best purpose built tool to come along for woodturners in years. This is the only one that works brilliantly. There are a couple of also rans made by companies who have to copy everything that comes along but they really aren't in the same league as the original.

One made by a well known English manufacturer worked that well that their demonstrator threw it on the ground in disgust and was heard to mumble words like "What a piece of crap!"

Cheers - Neil

JackoH
9th January 2003, 10:51 AM
Spot on Neil,(as usual). I bought myself one after using it on a course I did with Vic Wood and without doubt it is the most used tool in my turning kit.
I could not reccomend it to highly.
Regards John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

ptc
9th January 2003, 11:18 AM
Even better than a mouse trap.

Mick4412
10th January 2003, 05:24 PM
Neil,
Maybe here's another chance to tell us how good the Rotary Sander is.
I have recently made some pedestal table tops from some joined jarrah which was reasonably flat and of uniform thickness - with the bandsaw cut circular plate some 35 cm in diameter, 3.3cm thick.
Mounted said piece on lathe - turned it into a near perfect circle - then while still spinning on the lathe, used sand paper to "make the top flat".
Result - circular score marks in the wood, which in disgust, I took out using an orbital finishing sander away from the lathe.

QUESTION ; would using your Rotary sander have produced the desired result with out the frustration???

mick

ubeaut
10th January 2003, 06:32 PM
Mick - YES!!!

You should be left with a surface that has virtually no visible signs of sanding even when only sanding to 320 grit, sand up to 400 or more and there should be no sign of sanding at all. It should be a lot better than what you get with your orbital sander

You will never again have to see the inevitable, telltale sanding marks you get
from hand sanding. I have used an number of different power sander heads as well as the Rotary Sander and in my opinion the Rotary Sander gives a better finish than power sanding. It is also extremely economical on abrasive paper (an abrasive disk on the rotary sander should outlast at least 4 on a power sander and probably 1 or even 2 sheets of paper hand held, depending upon the timber) it also saves you from burnt fingers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

PS If you are considering getting a Rotary Sander then you should also think about getting a power sander head. Both have their place in finishing for woodturners. Many turners use power sanding for troublesome grain and then the Rotary for finishing up.

DarrylF
10th January 2003, 09:13 PM
Dingo/Mick,

Buy it. As Neil says, you also need a 2" power sanding head, both have their place.

I tend to use the power sander in tighter spots, and often through the coaser grits when I want to remove a lot of material (difficult grain etc). The rotary sander is great for 120/180 grit up, and leaves a nice finish.

The discs are the only problem on both. I find it a little difficult to get good quality pre-cut discs at a decent price. I've recently got hold of some good quality velcro backed abrasive sheets, but cutting discs with scissors is a pain in the ass.

Another abrasive you might want to try: foam backed sheets. They are great when you need to hand sand tight spots etc - last longer than normal abrasive sheets, seem to work better, and less burnt fingers. Hermes, SIA & 3M all make them with around 5mm of foam backing, though 3M tend to be expensive.

Sandy Johnston
12th January 2003, 12:42 AM
Yes there great and the perfect disc ... Get some 50mm steel water pipe and ground one end sharp. Use this to punch out velcro disks you need.

Sandy across the ditch

rsser
12th January 2003, 06:19 PM
Or some 2" exhaust pipe, sharpening the inside.

When these discs wear out, you can often then cut them down again to fit a 1" pad.

Cheers,

Ern

ubeaut
12th January 2003, 06:53 PM
New packaging and special offer http://www.ubeaut.com.au/rotary1.htm

Badger
14th January 2003, 09:27 PM
First off, let me say that I have got, and regularly use, my rotary sander BUT it does have one small drawback when compared to power sanders. When you have carefully turned a platter or flat bottomed bowl you have to be very careful when sanding the centre portion, otherwise you rapidly develop a small raised section in the middle where the speed of rotation is much slower. You really have to compensate by working the centre much more. This is the same effect as with hand sanding.

Having said that (and because I don’t want to be shot down in a screaming heap) I must admit it’s a mighty little tool!

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter