PDA

View Full Version : Wayne...The cyclone will have to wait

kenmil
22nd April 2003, 10:20 PM
Wayne,

I looked at a Jet DC and thought..."just buy it and stuff around with the cyclone later". So, in a moment of weakness, I did just that. It sucks like a beauty, and in light of my saw purchase it was an immediate necessity, because I think I will be making quite a bit of sawdust in the next couple of weeks.
I have also finished the dust collection part of my mitre saw unit, and it was crying out for some suction too. Pic attached.

Wayne Davy
23rd April 2003, 08:28 PM
Hi Ken,

The saw hood looks good. One comment though, you should make the pipe flush with the bottom of the box. This will help at bit at picking up the stuff that falls into the box.

Which Jet DC did you get, at least the 2hp I hope as it would power the Cyclone if you decided to build one later. Good to see you got a DC as vac and triton buckets (dont) suck :D

Mine cyclone is up and running and I am just finishing the piping. Man does it suck even with the partial piping and several pipes not sealed off properly. I will post some pics tomorrow on my Cyclone thread.

Cheers,

kenmil
23rd April 2003, 08:52 PM
Wayne,
You are correct of course, and I have changed the fitting of that pipe today. I have also removed the little bag and attached a small Triton-type hose to it, and run it to the mouth of the larger pipe. It seems ok.
The Jet is the DC1100, which is 1 1/2 HP. I had it running this afternoon while I was giving the saw a workout on some 22mm ply, and when I checked the saw cabinet, it was clean as a whistle.
I know you have said 2HP is the go, but this little baby was going cheap so I had to have it. Hopefully in my shop this will still be big enough if I finally build a cyclone.
Hurry up with those photos, I am interested to see if it sucks the nails out of your floorboards.:D

Wayne Davy
23rd April 2003, 09:20 PM
Ken,

Nothing like a bargain and I think the Jet 1.5hp would work as Jet do rate their motors accurately. My blower is off a cheap Hare & Forbes 2Hp (supposedly) and drives the cyclone nicely.

As for the pics, I have made two 150mm blast gates out of ply tonight and I need to wait for the Liquid Nails to set (the pics will explain) before I can fit them. Man are these things big but boy does the 6" pipe work well.

You mentioned in your carbatec post that you got some 4" blast gates. If these are the plastic ones you will eventually find that they block up in the slot that the gate travels in. This means that the gate will not close completely. The solution is to drill two holes at the base of the gate to let the sawdust out. I found this on another site ages ago after this happened to mine.

Wayne