PDA

View Full Version : easy,quick xmas presents

bikerboy
12th November 2006, 07:34 PM
I have been turning out "solitaire games", so easy to do,and can make a good present also,though not for small kids,because of the marbles/matches.
But, if you are new to turning,and you want to turn some thing that is very easy, have a go at these....
You will need,33 marbles,6" round wood,2"deep,or less,up to you realy,also depends on the size of marbles, you might need 7 or 8"round,you will have to sort that before you turn it..
So, what do you think?nice and easy,or just easy..lol...lol....

lubbing5cherubs
12th November 2006, 07:37 PM
that a ripper idea. Hours of fun there perhaps some peace for mum and dad. COOL!
TOni

hughie
12th November 2006, 08:00 PM
have been turning out "solitaire games", so easy to do,and can make a good present also,though not for small So, what do you think?nice and easy,or just easy..lol...lol....
[/QUOTE]

Nice 'n easy but............ they all want bowls 'n boxes with those long skinny finials on em etc..............sigh, shouldna let em in the shed :( :D

BernieP
12th November 2006, 09:36 PM
G'Day Bikerboy

Thanks for the great ideas, always looking for something different

Cheers Bernie

tashammer
12th November 2006, 09:41 PM
what a terrific idea. Nice design too, looks really smooth.

Do they have lids or little drawers or a slot like a crib board as a place to store marbles or matches? Nothing worse that losing a marble (stop it!).

Speanwoody
12th November 2006, 09:49 PM
nice work biker, silly question what do you use to form the hollows for the marbles?

bikerboy
13th November 2006, 01:38 AM
nice work biker, silly question what do you use to form the hollows for the marbles?
I found in the shed a very old contersink bit,I then ground the point off so as to get as near a round hole as I could,

Do they have lids or little drawers or a slot like a crib board as a place to store marbles or matches? Nothing worse that losing a marble (stop it!).
no, sorry nothing no where as fancy,around the edge of the one with marbles on, I have turned a small resess with a 1/2inc.round nose scraper,as for the matches,well I thought that they would be ok as they are, as matches are cheap,and can easly be replaced,
But you can do most any thing to make them different...
I got the idear from a broken one that I found in my daughters pub,glued it together,and then found out what it was for,never seen one so I was a bit confused as to what it was, so I thought that I would make'um...

joe greiner
14th November 2006, 01:59 AM
Very ingenious modification of the old countersink, bikerboy. I assume you're using a drill press? For more regular spacing of the pockets (if desired), you could attach an auxilary platform (e.g. plywood) to the DP table, and a smaller square sheet to the bottom of the workpiece (temporary). Put small fences on two sides of the larger platform, with multiple spacers to shim the workpiece at required edge distances. Rotate 90 degrees for each quadrant, unless you have a huuuuge DP.

For those with more loot and/or neglected family, a plunge router with a large-ish core box or round nose bit would also work. Similar spacers as above, except on top of the workpiece somehow.

JG