PDA

View Full Version : Using a bead forming tool.

Sir Stinkalot
12th November 2006, 08:48 PM
I need some advice on how to use a recently purchased bead forming tool ...

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136786&product_id=1107402007

Is it best just to wack the bugger in? handle up or down? move from side to side?

So far I have tried all and made a mess not a bead.

Thanks

BernieP
12th November 2006, 10:09 PM
G'Day Sir Stinkalot

Only advice I can find is "<TABLE id=Table2 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ProdDisplay2 width="100%">Detailed Description </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sitewide width="100%">For easiest cutting, rock the handle from side to side as you work; to avoid damaging the surface between the bead cuts, stop cutting a fraction before reaching full depth." Dunno if that helps I use a Skew!

Cheers Bernie
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sir Stinkalot
12th November 2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks Bernie ..... it does help. It just seems that the tool needs to be embedded quite deep in order for the bead forming section to make contact with the timber.

I few practise cuts may be in order.

BernieP
12th November 2006, 10:46 PM
G'Day again Sir Stinkalot

If you read about the demo given on your beading tool at http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/bradp.html might solve a few problems, let us know how you go

Cheers Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th November 2006, 10:46 PM
I haven't bought a commercial one, but all the ones I've made I use as a scraper. ie. point down, handle up.

joe greiner
13th November 2006, 12:53 AM
I suppose these are OK for initial shaping. Ditto captive ring, thread chasing, etc. For final surface, though, a skew is hard to beat. Small size if needed (1/2in or 12mm +/-). Slicing always better than chopping. Ever tried chopping a whole tomato?:D

JG

dai sensei
13th November 2006, 04:53 PM
I have one, but still use the skew to start with, then finish with the bead tool. It ensures I have the smae sized bead each time, otherwise I would just use my skew.

rsser
13th November 2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, take it slow, move side to side and in scraper mode, as suggested.

Works best in medium density timbers. Can double as a captive ring tool without too much bother.