PDA

View Full Version : huon pine vase.........and then some!

hughie
12th November 2006, 09:46 PM
Dont know If I want to have a go at this.................:D....might need to upgrade the MC1100

http://www.timberlinedesigns.com.au/pages/timbervases.htm

Slow6
12th November 2006, 10:03 PM
wasn't that thing at the ww show in melb last month?

beautiful piece of work without a doubt.
I lust after those big old pattern makers lathes, I saw a big old Wadkin sold for a measly couple of grand (compare it to what you'd pay for a vicmark) earlier in the year and have promised myself I will never allow a oportunity like that to pass me up again. had to be a 3mtr bed and good 1500 swing.

I reckon youd need a block and tackle obove the lathe just to get the blanks on... and I imagine the hair on ones walnuts would stand on end once they get spinning:eek:

another face plate lathe with a 2mtr swing escaped me by a matter of hours as well a month or two back. the old bloke selling it said it had been used for table tops, no tail stock just one huge cast iron headstock.

:sigh: why am I always in the right place half an hour too late??

[end rant]

Gino
12th November 2006, 10:22 PM
Your right you would need a block and tackle or similar in order to manipulate something of that size. Just ask .

I put an article to do with that vase in our club magazine, which was extracted from the Victorian wood workers association magazine which can be found at the following address. www.vwa.org.au/list/_newshom.htm Once your there click on Öctober" and there will be some more photo's and info on it.

Beutiful piece of wood and work.

regards

Gino

tashammer
12th November 2006, 10:26 PM
don't know what you blokes are carrying on about, the feller in the piece is only 15" tall.

Gino
12th November 2006, 10:27 PM
sorry make that www.vwa.org.au/list_newshom.htm

rsser
13th November 2006, 05:35 PM
Lordy, imagine the kid walking into the workshop and hitting the green button just to see what would happen ;-}

joe greiner
14th November 2006, 02:15 AM
You people are NUTS! OK, I guess we're all nuts.

Don't think a block & tackle would make it, though. I'm thinking more like an over-the-road crane with telescoping boom.

JG