PDA

View Full Version : Domino - Dial up slack

mat
13th November 2006, 09:33 AM
I used a Domino for the second time on the weekend. One of the joints didn't quite line up so I thought I would dial up a bit of slack and re-run. I was amazed to find way too much slack.

WHY does the number 2 setting give an enormous extra 6mm in length and the number 3 setting a mammoth 10 mm extra??

When I had to do this again rather than dial up some extra slack I simply moved the alignment mark 0.5mm to the side and re-ran on the number 1 setting!!

nt900
13th November 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Mat,

If you just want a little slack to help fitting up, a slight wiggle side to side of the Domino at the end of the plunge stroke can give a smidgen of slack. A little practise required for desired result and safe handling.

mat
20th November 2006, 08:28 AM
But what is the logic of such a huge amount of slack on settings 2 & 3??:confused:

TassieKiwi
20th November 2006, 10:56 AM
I'm guessing that one of the target industries is MDF joinery (if that isn't an oxymoron) for kitchens etc. The beauty here is that one domi locates the pieces for a perfect match in all directions, and the balance in the joint can be whacked in quickly, still offering perfect alignment in one plane, and offering quick non-fiddly assembly of panels. Works, too!

Lignum
11th December 2006, 09:01 AM
Matt, one reason is for joining a long panel using the index wings. One side of the panel is plunged using the normal snug fit, then when you plunge the opposing side using the elongated size, each one (on the mid size setting) will plunge 2.5 mm further along the board.

The further you go the wider mortice starts to move away from the calibrasion of the original snug mortice. So after a few plunges on the snug fit move the setting to the second setting for 3 or 4 plunges and then move it to the widest (3rd) setting to finish it off. This will work up to 1400mm length. Any longer you need to re calibrate after that point.

Flowboy
11th December 2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Lignum,

Welcome back!!:)

Regards,

Rob