PDA

View Full Version : Mortising bits question

stef1611
13th November 2006, 01:04 PM
Hi everybody,

My question might sound dumb but I'd like to make sure before I do something irreversible. I don't have a mortising machine so I recently got an attachment I can fit on my drill stand. My problem is that the bit that does the hole inside the mortising bit is far too long and protrubes from the mortising bit by more than 2.5 centimeters (not enough of it goes inside the drill shank). The result is that I can only use that to cut through mortises because of these 2.5 centimeters between the tip of teh bit and the square mortising bit. The question is simple, can I cut the drilling bit so that it only protrubes by less than 5 millimeters outside of the mortising bit?
Thanx for your help...
Cheers

Harry72
13th November 2006, 01:09 PM
Sure you could cut the bit down, but its sounds like the morticing kit isnt fitted properly to your drill press?

mat
13th November 2006, 01:20 PM
The inside bit SHOULD only protrude a mm or two beyond the square chisel. 2.5cm is way way too long and not a correct setup.

I assume you have tried to push the centre drill further into your chuck and it is bottoming out!

stef1611
13th November 2006, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Indeed I pushed it as far as I could, and it won't go any further. I just want to make sure I can actually take the grinder and remove these 2.5 annoying centimeters... think I can?
Cheers

Chesand
13th November 2006, 01:34 PM
Perhaps you should check where you purchased the attachment in case you have a faulty one.

silentC
13th November 2006, 02:26 PM
The morticing bits that come with those drill press attachments are often too long. Cut it down.

stef1611
13th November 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanx alot guys, I'll cut it then....
Cheers
Steph