PDA

View Full Version : Zigzag chair article online

Rocker
15th November 2006, 12:18 PM
Since I have not succeeded in finding a print publisher for my zigzag chair article, I have published it online here: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgdcspjt_109f2gnp8 - I could not deny Dan_Tom, Ivan in Oz, and Krunchy their 15 minutes of fame:) The article concentrates on the joinery aspect, rather than on making the chair as a project; but there is sufficient detail included to enable anyone who wishes to make the chair to do so. Some of the diagrams are illegible on screen; but they print out OK.

Rocker

Krunchy
15th November 2006, 01:59 PM
Hi Rocker,

Nice work on the article. Are you planning on releasing more detailed dimensioned drawings of the components?

Cheers,
Krunchy

Rocker
15th November 2006, 02:25 PM
Ben,

I think you will find, if you study the article carefully, that all the critical dimensions have been given (sometimes in captions), but they are not conveniently tabulated, I admit. I wrote the article more in the style of a FW article, where a certain amount is left up to the reader to fill in the gaps.

Rocker

Krunchy
15th November 2006, 02:42 PM
I think you will find, if you study the article carefully, that all the critical dimensions have been given (sometimes in captions), but they are not conveniently tabulated, I admit. I wrote the article more in the style of a FW article, where a certain amount is left up to the reader to fill in the gaps.

My apologies, I admit that I had a cursory glance at the document :o

Now, having read it properly, is it fair to assume though that the back slats are made from the same sized stock as the rest of the chair? (ie, 35mm x 40mm)

Cheers,
Ben

silentC
15th November 2006, 02:44 PM
I wrote the article more in the style of a FW article, where a certain amount is left up to the reader to fill in the gaps.
Yes, I'm familiar with that problem. I'm left filling in the gaps for the entire contents of #185 and #186, which I'm yet to receive. ;)

Rocker
15th November 2006, 03:55 PM
My apologies, I admit that I had a cursory glance at the document :o

Now, having read it properly, is it fair to assume though that the back slats are made from the same sized stock as the rest of the chair? (ie, 35mm x 40mm)

Cheers,
Ben

Ben,

Yes; the back rails are made from 35 x 40, but obviously the seat cross rails and the stretcher are made from thinner stock, about 22 mm thick. But their dimensions are not crucial, so long as the distance between shoulders is the same (400 mm) throughout. I omitted anything about the slip-seat frame. I made that from 16 x 55 mm hardwood with 6 mm floating-tenon joinery, leaving a 3 mm gap on either side for the leather upholstery.

Rocker

dai sensei
15th November 2006, 07:57 PM
Good article Rocker:cool: . Dam, I must have missed a rain drop:eek: - sorry Ivan:o