PDA

View Full Version : Chair from hell

AlexS
24th April 2003, 10:06 PM
This pic shows the evolution of a dining chair as a design and laminating exercise. The first model was an attempt to design a chair with no crest rail and very light weight back splats. After making the model, on I decided, on the advice of my teacher, that the splats would probably not stay even.

The second model was an attempt to retain the light weight look and no crest rail. After tinkering with angles and proportions (using an adjustable chair) I made the real thing out of Xylocarpus (Mangrove Cedar).

The back legs and splats are laminated, the front legs cut from solid timber. The laminations were done using X-linked PVA, and all other joints were 2 part epoxy. The finish is fine buffing oil on NC lacquer.

Before gluing, with the ends of the legs and splats clamped, the chair took my weight. Everything held in place by friction. Test pieces showed that the ends of the legs and splats wouldn't pull apart when glued. However, in the glue-up, I learned two things:-
1 2-pack epoxy is an excellent lubricant when wet, and
2 tests can be wrong.

Hence the name, "chair from hell". I finished up using concealed brass Chicago screws tho help the glue hold the ends of the legs and splats together.

The chair has been tested by sitting 100kg+, and by putting all my weight on one leg at a time. It even feels comfortable. As for how you think it looks, I'll leave that for others to decide.
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/chair.jpg

jow104
25th April 2003, 04:25 AM
nice work.

I would prefer to see a top back rail included in the design myself.

Sarge
25th April 2003, 06:07 AM
Nice looking chair, I'm sure it will look perfect in any Toorak Mansion :)

I like it

DPB
25th April 2003, 01:25 PM
Of course, the look is most unusual, but I suspect this was the objective. In one word - exquisite!

I admire the creativity and the workmanship. Well done

Dean
25th April 2003, 04:42 PM
looks nice, but I wouldn't want to see a heavier person sit on that or lean backwards. Something would surely give way no?

AlexS
25th April 2003, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the +ve comments.

Dean, so far it's been able to stand up to all I've thrown at it, including all my weight on one leg at a time, and a 6'8" 100kg+ classmate sitting on it and leaning back on the two rear legs. Part of the aim was to make it look lightweight while retaining strength. The triangle form of the legs & back helps achieve this.

kenmil
25th April 2003, 10:02 PM
Very nice workmanship, and innovative (but horrible) design, but then that's all a matter of personal taste, so don't be offended by my opinion. You can be proud of your work, and the fact that it is actually strong whilst looking quite fragile is a feather in your cap as well. Well done.;)

Dean
25th April 2003, 10:35 PM
well, I'm impressed now!
Have to agree... the design doesn't suit my taste either but surely a design that unique could attract great interest from those with more creative 'flare' :)

soundman
3rd May 2003, 11:00 PM
If it dont sell as a chair it might sell as a hat stand.

AlexS
4th May 2003, 08:58 PM
..or a big toast rack?

Ynot
9th May 2003, 08:29 PM
I had all sorts of fun laminating the legs on this table I made. The 2 pack epoxy got EVERYwhere.

The legs are laminations of cypress pine with one lamination of red cedar.

cheers
tony

Ynot
9th May 2003, 08:36 PM
I had all sorts of fun laminating the legs on this table I made. The 2 pack epoxy got EVERYwhere.

The legs are laminations of cypress pine with one lamination of red cedar.

cheers
tony

dirtfinger
22nd June 2003, 10:17 AM
Don't listen too much to the negative criticism because it sure beats another regurgitation. I like your design but would like to know what the inspiration behind the piece was. All new designs need to have come from somewhere and this story is ultimately what will sell and keep the chair alive. With this I think the chair is worth exhibiting. Oh, and whatever you do, don't put a horizontal back rest on it.

Dirty Den
6th February 2004, 07:52 PM
I have been going throught the old pics and I came across these. I am amazed that there was some negative feedback on them. I think they are supurb. Just my .02

Dennis

AlexS
6th February 2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks Den,

It was put up for comment, and I don't regard any comments that came in as negative. Sure, it wasn't to everybody's taste, but if you could design something that no one disliked, it would be pretty bland.

Think how boring life would be if we all liked the same things!

Mick C.
8th February 2004, 11:27 PM
He who dies with the most toys, is dead!!!;) ;) ;)

DanP
9th February 2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your insightful comment Mick.:rolleyes:

Nice chair Alex. Good to see original work. Did you make a set or just the one?

Dan

AlexS
9th February 2004, 06:17 PM
I only made one (which I now use as my computer chair - sitting on it now). However, SWMBO has put another 5 as a dining set on the list of things to do when I retire. I've kept the form for bending the backs and the template for the seat.

seriph1
24th February 2004, 10:49 AM
I find this chair fascinating and the material stunning

Thanks for showing it

KevM
23rd March 2011, 04:06 PM
So Alex,have you built the other 5 yet?

Incidentally, I love your design, it's a breath of fresh air. Not sure how it missed this when it was originally posted.

AlexS
23rd March 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Kev.

So Alex,have you built the other 5 yet?

That flapping sound you can hear is the pigs flying by.:D