PDA

View Full Version : crazy jarrah burl

winnie182
16th November 2006, 12:48 AM
soon to be a burl coffee table

BobL
16th November 2006, 01:43 AM
Fixed your picture up a bit for you. You can copy it if you want to and stick it into your post - then I will delete my post!

Bluegum
16th November 2006, 12:51 PM
Great patterns ther its going to look enormous when its been finished. Be good to see the finished product mate.

Doughboy
16th November 2006, 12:57 PM
When making a coffee table with such a burl how would you do it? Could you just leave it as is and finish it nicely with oil and wax or would it be possible to embed the whole thing entirely into an epoxy bath?

Either way I reckon you will end up with a great table.

Pete

TEEJAY
16th November 2006, 01:14 PM
Yep, interested to know if you are going to put it under glass or fill the gaps as otherwise it will be difficult to clean after a spill.

If you choose to fill it with resin be careful of rising air bubbles in the resin from the timber - good idea to seal it first. I think you may find material on this in finishing section if you do a search.

Anyway good luck with the project - look forward to the pics.

And welcome :)

winnie182
17th November 2006, 05:44 PM
yes i will be finishing it with a clear resin , but it a slow process , because of the way the burl has been cut so most of the whole run though to the bottom. slowy but sure im gettin it filled . not working on it everday day so may be some time before i finish it... and thenk u i am ware of the air bubbles. ,, have been useing resin since i stared working with wood and know how it works cheers anyway. winnie

once has been filled it will be finished sprayed with a 2 pack lacquer.

winnie182
17th November 2006, 05:48 PM
When making a coffee table with such a burl how would you do it? Could you just leave it as is and finish it nicely with oil and wax or would it be possible to embed the whole thing entirely into an epoxy bath?

Either way I reckon you will end up with a great table.

Pete

yes u can fill the whole thing with resin witch is what im doing but it just takes some time . and the other way is if u can get a glue that u can mix colour into u can fill it with that thats a lot quicker,, i use west systems glue it a to part glue.

winnie182
17th November 2006, 05:53 PM
Fixed your picture up a bit for you. You can copy it if you want to and stick it into your post - then I will delete my post!

cheers for doing that mate . it was pritty dark when i took the pic.
did think of lightin it but it was my first posting of pic and wasnt to sure if any 1 would look.

cheers winnie