PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted in regard to a Jet Mini or 1236

derekcohen
16th November 2006, 05:06 PM
Having decided to move up (is it really possible to move down?) from a GMC lathe (now to be turned into "something else"), I have narrowed my search to two lathes, the smaller Jet models, and I welcome all comments.

First off, I have a restriction on space so it is intended that the lathe will be bolted to a long, narrow, very rigid bench along the side of my workshop (two car garage). Secondly, my main need is for spindles, handles, table/chair legs - i.e. more long stuff than wide stuff (although I lke the idea of bowls, but I don't think that I can have it all in my price range). And then there is a limit on costs at present, say up to about a grand.

The Jet Mini (non-VS model) stands out as a serious performer, regardless of price ($355). I would get it with the bed extension ($106). My main concern is the 1/2 hp motor - is this powerful enough for Aussie hardwood?

Incidentally, why do they call this a "mini" when the Delta, at the same size, is a "midi"?

Is there another alternative to this lathe?

The Jet #1236 is 3/4 hp and has a swiveling head, allowing it to turn wider bowls. However - (a) I have read that the little mini is actually more rigid and just "feels" the more substantial lathe of the two. Is there a real advantage in choosing this lathe over the mini? (b) the Jet appears to be copied by the Carba-tec et al MC900 or MC1100 (not sure which) for a much lower cost ($900 vs $350/450). I have read here comments warning all off the MC range (just not finished well enough) but obviously many really like theirs. So what is the deal here? Are they the same machine, or is the Jet tweaked and a better unit in action (e.g. less vibration)?

I'd certainly consider a second hand "better" unit, but cannot find one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wood Butcher
16th November 2006, 05:33 PM
The Jet #1236 is the same to look at as the MC-900. From what I've seen the Jet is identical except for the finish. Jet have applied more rigorous quality control standards to their manufacturing, But I don't think that it is worth the extra $500 over the MC clones.

DJ’s Timber
16th November 2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Derek,

I have had a MC1100 (now a slowspeed bench grinder) and have the jet mini now. Out of the two the Jet is by far the better machine.

I have yet to turn some larger items on the mini (so far only pens) but I have seen them doing bowls upto 250mm.

I feel that the mini is quite a gutsy little machine. If most of your turning is going to be spindle work, the mini is best for this. They pass the kiss test much better than the MC's will (centres lining up).

IMHO I reckon the Jet will give you a better run for your money.

chrisb691
16th November 2006, 05:58 PM
I can only comment on the Jet Mini, and it is an absolute beauty. It is incredibly smooth, and at full speed you can barely tell that it's running. You don't need to bolt this baby down. :) :) :)

jchappo
16th November 2006, 08:42 PM
Derek,
I would seriously consider the Ledacraft MC1018 mini (available from Jim Carroll specs here (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144882&product_id=1107369638)amongst others).

It is very similar in appearance and specs to the Jet Mini, but has a slightly longer bed allowing 450mm between centres as against the 300mm of the Jet.

There is also an extension bed available.

Cost is $290 ... the extension bed $70.

I own the Leda, and use the Jet at the local woodworking club. The Jet is a bit quieter and the finish is better.

I find the larger locking handles on the Leda more to my liking, and the tailstock doesn't creep like the Jet.

Totally happy with the Leda, as are several others on this forum.

John

fxst
16th November 2006, 11:01 PM
Derek I use the timbercon VS mini lathe and have had it for about 4-5 years and no real problems other than just shredded 1 of the 2 belts due to lack of care (maintainance) on my behalf.
just to add to the mix :D
Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th November 2006, 03:09 PM
Totally happy with the Leda, as are several others on this forum.

Yup. Seconded.

derekcohen
17th November 2006, 03:26 PM
I would seriously consider the Ledacraft MC1018 mini

Thanks for the alternative John. I don't think that I can consider this one as, as far as I am aware, Leda is not sold in Perth. Shipping costs would remove any savings made in getting it.

I have not heard anyone suggest a variable speed as a desired feature on a Mini. Many in the USA seem to want it. My impression is that VS is really something desired by those turning wide bowls since the speed at the outer circumference needs to be reduced as much as possible. Turning spindles, pens, handles, and other narrower pieces is really done at the higher speeds - hence VS does not impact here. Am I correct?

The last pre-purchase doubt I must deal with is the perceived advantage of a bigger lathe over a small lathe, in other words whether I should buy a MC900 or 1236 rather than a mini. Can someone either reassure me or put me straight!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Skewpid
17th November 2006, 06:56 PM
I have not heard anyone suggest a variable speed as a desired feature on a Mini. Many in the USA seem to want it. My impression is that VS is really something desired by those turning wide bowls since the speed at the outer circumference needs to be reduced as much as possible. Turning spindles, pens, handles, and other narrower pieces is really done at the higher speeds - hence VS does not impact here. Am I correct?

The last pre-purchase doubt I must deal with is the perceived advantage of a bigger lathe over a small lathe, in other words whether I should buy a MC900 or 1236 rather than a mini. Can someone either reassure me or put me straight!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

Not sure if this is gonna confuse you more, but I went through the same delema.:rolleyes:

I too started with the GMC;) .. which lasted probably 3 weeks before getting rid of that and getting an MC1100,:) which has been my baby for 1.5yrs now. It has done bowls, spindles, pens without any hassell. The only thing is that it tends to be a bit noisy.:cool:

Now .. because I found an extra $500 in my "other pants" so to speak, I have recently purchased the Jet Mini Variable.:D :D :D And she is a gem! Quiet, smooth and trouble free. (I do like the ease of the variable, there are 3 pullys and speeds are 500 - 3950rpm, but if I could buy it over again, I dont think I would be dissapointed with the non VS, like most here):rolleyes:

I doubt whether you would be doing too well with a heavy blank on the Jet, but if you are only doing smaller items, the Jet with the extention bed, I think, would be the go. :)

Then again,:rolleyes: if you think you are going to want to do some larger stuff:eek: , then the MC will do all the jet will do, and more. Just .. will do it with more noise . .LOL

Let us know what ya come up with:D

Skewpid
17th November 2006, 06:58 PM
Oh ..PS

I still have the MC1100 .. so I do have the choice of either now. Hey .. buy em both! That will save the headache.

derekcohen
18th November 2006, 08:05 PM
This morning (Saturday) I bought the Jet mini plus bed extension from Power Tools and Machinery Sales, who are the Jet agents in Perth.

Unpacked the boxes around midday and began cleaning off the light oil. The extension bed needed a little tweeking - not much - and all was set to go...... until I noticed that the centre spur to the headstock was missing!!!! Damn and blast! My weekend plans are dashed.

Tell me I am confused .. am I??? Shouldn't there be a pointy thing in the centre?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Other/Missingspur.jpg

Is there a temporary fix?

The oither point of note is that the speed range is better than I thought. I was told before that the lowest speed was 500 rpm. This machine has a range of 417 - 3313 rpm.

Here are a few extra pictures of the set up:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Workbench%20and%20Workshop/Drill-lathe-grinder.jpg

and a close up of the drill and WASP and slide for those interested in that sort of thing:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Workbench%20and%20Workshop/Drill-lathe.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

DJ’s Timber
18th November 2006, 09:40 PM
Congrats on ya new toy Derek.

Bugger about the missing point. Have you got a bolt laying around that is a snug fit in the hole. If so just grind a point on the bolt. The point only needs to sit about 3 to 5mm in front of the spurs.

This can get you by till Monday. Hopefully the boys have a spare one in the shop.

If ya like I can take a photo of mine for you.

derekcohen
18th November 2006, 10:25 PM
Hi DJ

Yes, I would appreciate a picture. I can turn a point and use it in the meantime.

Thanks

Regards from Perth

Derek

DJ’s Timber
18th November 2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Derek,

I have just poped out to the shed and grabbed the spur drive.

Brand spanking new and unmarked. If you were around the corner you could have this one for the meantime.

I popped the centre out and took a photo of it out and in.

The bit that goes in is more tapered than I thought it would be, my other ones are not tapered as much as this one. This one is out of my Jet so it should be the same.

If the boys at the shop don't have a spare one and you need it I could post this one to you, to get you by till they get one in.