PDA

View Full Version : all manner of questions (and intro first post)

Twinnie
16th November 2006, 08:25 PM
g'day all i'm matt (looks around at angry people brandishing wood turning tools, kidding)

since like most of you i'll be living here i thaught i'd tell you about my self :cool:

i think that at 20 i am the youngest member of this fourum? and i have been turning for a couple of years now on whats now become a rather inadiquate lathe a little 40 kg sherwood which i stand of from time to time and ride from one side of the garage to the other while roughing out bits that are realy too big for it. one of those blocks of wood became the bowl in this photo

and talking of the wood in that photo do any of you know what it is? i picked it up from a tree dumping ground and i have no idea apart from it's a eucalipt.

thanks for not atacking me you may go back to your turnings now :D

Matt

dai sensei
16th November 2006, 08:34 PM
Welcome aboard Matt.

Definately younger members around. Cruise the threads and you will see a lot of talent here amongst the youngsters.

Twinnie
16th November 2006, 08:38 PM
thanks

good to hear i'm not the youngest, i'll have to have a look around.

thefixer
16th November 2006, 09:52 PM
Welcome Matt

My 14 year old son and I have found that it is not the quality of lathe that counts but the quality of work that you can turn out with what you have got. We have been learning a great deal together for only a few months now with the cheapest and nastiest lathe available. But it has been the best quality time we have ever spent together. As my dad always told me "it's not the stick thats at fault, it's the monkey on the end of it" And we have been able to make some pretty good stuff on our el cheapo considering our lack of experience.
Please show us some of your work.

Cheers
Shorty & Jack

joe greiner
17th November 2006, 12:02 AM
Sorry, Shorty & Jack, I think I have one of the cheapest lathes "available." Old Black & Decker workhorse drill. US$5 at garage sale. Auxillary pipe handle clamps it to a plank, with 4 wood buttresses with carriage bolts to align axis. Banjo and tool post borrowed from my antique Delta. Works OK for miniatures:

http://n-fl-woodturners.org/images/2006-10/2006-10-17.jpg

Sorry I can't post a picture of it. Computer's OS got hosed a while back, and doesn't do much more than go "thud" when it falls over.

Joe

hughie
17th November 2006, 12:27 AM
i think that at 20 i am the youngest member of this fourum? and i have been turning for a couple of years now on whats now become a rather inadiquate lathe a little 40 kg sherwood which i stand of from time to time and ride from one side of the garage to the other while roughing out bits that are realy too big for it. one of those blocks of wood became the bowl in this photo
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. :D Ah walzing with your lathe what a great pastime, been there 'n done that. :D Till I got a bag of cement and about 30-40kgs of scrap iron all on the bottom shelf of my chiwanese. Plus a few other mods now its tolerable. :p :D

TTIT
17th November 2006, 08:47 AM
G'day Matt and welcome to the forum. As the guy's said, you won't be the youngest but you're not too far away from it either. Being a Sherwood, your lathe is probably as good as many on the forum - as long as it spins wood you can produce some great stuff. :)
How about showing us that pic now eh!?!:cool:

Gil Jones
17th November 2006, 01:41 PM
Welcome abaord, Matt,
Admittedly, the lathe quality can affect your overall enjoyment of this sport, but I think it is mostly "how you drive your gouge" that determines the final outcome.

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2006, 03:31 PM
G'day Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

That timber looks very much like some redbox that I have turned before.

ss_11000
17th November 2006, 03:47 PM
welcome to the forum matt

RETIRED
17th November 2006, 05:26 PM
g'day all i'm matt (looks around at angry people brandishing wood turning tools, kidding)

since like most of you i'll be living here i thaught i'd tell you about my self :cool:

and talking of the wood in that photo do any of you know what it is? i picked it up from a tree dumping ground and i have no idea apart from it's a eucalipt.

thanks for not atacking me you may go back to your turnings now :D

MattWelcome to the forums Matt. I fixed the photo part of the post for you.:D

BernieP
17th November 2006, 06:50 PM
G'Day Matt

Welcome to the best forum around

Cheers
Bernie

tashammer
17th November 2006, 09:01 PM
Greetings to Ye Matt

this is a nice place, good folks, good company, excellent place to learn and share what you have learned. You should see it some times when the gestalt brain kicks in and creativity galore. Help, friendship, you name it, it's here.

Tom

Terry B
17th November 2006, 09:25 PM
Welcome Matt
Plenty of good advice here. Nice little bowl.

Caveman
18th November 2006, 12:37 AM
Howzit Matt - welcome. As you can see by the replies this is a great site - plenty of helpful types only too happy lend a hand and share info.
Try a search on any topic you wish to query - a real useful function - you'll find a great deal has already been covered.

I like the look of your bowl - nice one!

joe greiner
18th November 2006, 02:14 AM
Oooooh! Forgot my manners.:o

Welcome aboard Matt. This place is the best in the world.

Joe

Cliff Rogers
18th November 2006, 12:37 PM
G'day Matt, what size is it & what is the finish.

Looks like good old 'been-a-gum' tree to me.

rsser
18th November 2006, 01:05 PM
Looks like good old 'been-a-gum' tree to me.

Yeah, euc. nondifferentiata :D

Good on you Matt for sticking with a rough edge and 'turning the void' - takes courage and the result is terrific.

Twinnie
18th November 2006, 09:50 PM
wow i'm stoked what a welcome :D

here are some more pics of my work i think i'm going to like it here

the lathe will soon be replaced with a technatool 1642 i was given to go ahead (a place to keep it) today.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43236754/

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43236852/

Matt

RETIRED
19th November 2006, 07:54 AM
Matt. Could you please use the attachments feature at the bottom of the reply window for putting pics up.

There are 2 reasons for this: 1: Should your membership expire (or they have a cleanout)at the site where the pictures are hosted they will not show here.

2: Some of these sites are renowned for sending spam.

If you are having problems working out how to do it there are numerous posts to describe the process. Thanks.

OGYT
19th November 2006, 12:33 PM
Welcome in, Matt. Day late and a dollar short, but I'm finally back on line tonight. You'll be glad you're on this forum. I didn't know it before, but I found out later that these blokes are all nuts, but then that makes 'em like the rest of us. :o) Glad to have you!!

Twinnie
20th November 2006, 08:39 PM
Matt. Could you please use the attachments feature at the bottom of the reply window for putting pics up.

There are 2 reasons for this: 1: Should your membership expire (or they have a cleanout)at the site where the pictures are hosted they will not show here.

2: Some of these sites are renowned for sending spam.

If you are having problems working out how to do it there are numerous posts to describe the process. Thanks.

sorry about that it will be fixed