PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Tasmanian wooden fishing boats

dopeydriver
17th November 2006, 09:02 AM
To me , the Tasmanian traditional fishing boat always looked "right".
When I was down there earlier in the year , for the annual bullockies meeting , I got to check one out , the Peter H a Wilson boat , built in '33 in Huon Pine , of course.
And I happened to have a shipwright friend with me who looked it over , and was very impressed !.
It had started out life sailing , and had evolved in to the classic wet well cray boat , with a 3-71 in it.
I notice we have a few Tasmanians on the Forum , maybe they could tell me of the chances of finding a good Huon or similar boat that might be able to be converted back to an occasional sail vessel , that is seaworthy and relatively safe.
I'm thinking would you be able to take it out under engine power singlehanded for a spot of fishing , and put a sail or 2 up if you had a crew ?.
How difficult/expensive is it to seal up wet wells , and change the keel/hull form back to more motorsailing lines ?.
Rob J.

Old Codger
17th November 2006, 05:02 PM
there are a few good timber boats about but they are all different and so need catreful investigation proir to purchase
To plug up a wet well you usually need to carefully remove the concrete then place a new rib down a row of holes and glue on a large grain bung to the new rib with sealant to the old plank.
Then you have to put in sufficient ballast to replace the water in the well. Freshwater tanks can be some of this ballast.

dopeydriver
17th November 2006, 08:45 PM
thanks Old Timer!.
There are a couple on www.oceanpowers.com.au (http://www.oceanpowers.com.au) .
If you wanted to convert a traditional fishing boat to an occasional motor sailer , what would you be lookingi for ?.
The older boats were long and narrow , would you think that is a pointer to a hull form for suitable for conversion to motor/sailer ?.
You are right , I realise all boats are different , but as a generalisation , what would you be looking for ?.
Regards Rob J

Old Codger
17th November 2006, 09:19 PM
it depends what you are looking to do with the boat and of course what your budget is.
Narrow boats are easily driven and only need smaller horsepower and hence less fuel usage. Wide boats offer more accomadation and more stability. Timber fishing vessels loose out a bit because they are low wooded and a relatively thick deck structure.
Fuel usage can be roughly calculated by 1 litre per 10hp per hour. Gardners will use a little less, GMs will use a little more.
I love the way a timber fishing vessel is deep in the water and dosnt get blown about by the wind like alot of modern stuff.

hemayann
26th April 2009, 09:15 PM
have you got the plans beacuse my mate use to own it but he sold it and i saw it in hobart and it is now called ann marie