PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Chucks 5" or 5 1/2"

cypher
17th November 2006, 02:06 PM
Since these are made in Australia, I thought I would ask the experts.

I am looking to buy a new chuck and I am thinking Vicmarc. My question may be dumb but I am confused. I know about the 5" VM120 vicmarc chuck and have heard great things about it. This is the one i as going to order then my craftsupply catalog came along an they show a 5 1/2" vicmarc chuck. Only model number listed is the craftsupply item number. What is the diffrence beside the obvious 1/2"? The concern is that the 5 1/2" seems to be a newer model but they list less jaw options for it. Does anyone know if the 5" jaws will fit the 5 1/2" chuck and what, if any, is the diffrence in the chucks? HELP!!!

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2006, 03:24 PM
I think you will find that the 5 1/2" chuck is the tommy bar operated one called the VM140.

The 5" chuck is T-Bar Allen key operated one called the VM120.

They are shown here on their website (http://www.vicmarc.com/page.php?PageId=Chucks#VM90 and VM140 - Tommy Bar Operated)

hughie
18th November 2006, 12:54 AM
[

quote=cypher;411817]Since these are made in Australia, I thought I would ask the experts.

I am looking to buy a new chuck and I am thinking Vicmarc. My question may be dumb but I am confused. I know about the 5" VM120 vicmarc chuck and have heard great things about it. This is the one i as going to order then my craftsupply catalog came along an they show a 5 1/2" vicmarc chuck. Only model number listed is the craftsupply item number. What is the difference beside the obvious 1/2"? The concern is that the 5 1/2" seems to be a newer model but they list less jaw options for it. Does anyone know if the 5" jaws will fit the 5 1/2" chuck and what, if any, is the difference in the chucks? HELP!!!
[/QUOTE]

Hi Cypher,

Its been mentioned on the forum that Vicmarc chuck jaws are not interchangeable between chucks...:D do a search and quite a lot will turn up re chucks etc.

I don't have a Vicmarc but rather Supernova2 by Teknatool in nz.All the jaws fit across the range. Which makes me happy I have gone for the sn2 chucks in the beginning.....more good luck than good judgement...:o :D

Hope this has not added any confusion to the decision