PDA

View Full Version : power options

boldor
18th November 2006, 12:19 PM
Hi everyone, im looking for some advise and ideas for powering a semi scale model boat that im building.
It is roughly a 20% version of the Glen-L riviera. made from scratch, using the same methods as the real one.
was thinking of using a whiper snipper motor but thought it might be to big, or an eletric motor such as a motorcycle starter motor, or even a 14v cordless drill motor and battery set up. Any one any ideas?????
the boat is 4 1/2 ft long almost 1 1/2 widest point

thanks

DavidG
18th November 2006, 12:55 PM
Contact a good hobby shop.
There a number of good glowplug marine (water cooled) engines and a series of special electric motors for boats.
See (http://www.hobbyco.com.au/)

boldor
18th November 2006, 06:48 PM
thanks mate. I have looked at that, but rc stuff can be a bit expensive.
i already have a couple of buggy motors, might give those a try, they just seem too small.
dont want to spend to much as the boat is going to end up as a static display eventually.
i have the frame for the full size sitting in the drive way, building the model first so I dont stuff up the real thing

Daddles
18th November 2006, 07:00 PM
Go ebay for a model boat engine. Cooling and flywheels are important and purpose built engines have all that sorted out. Try do it yourself and all you're doing is making work for yourself ... with the chances of getting it wrong. You can always resell the motor once the boat becomes a static display.

Richard

bsrlee
19th November 2006, 01:26 AM
If you are thinking 'electric' and want to buy in Australia, then Jaycar often have specials/sales of electric motors in the 3v to 12v classes.

The advice to seek out a model boat supplier for hardware is good tho' - you will need a decent propellor and a 'stuffing box' to run the prop shaft thru' to keep the water out (OK, you build model boats, you probably know all this already.)