PDA

View Full Version : Holes for Cables

Biko
19th November 2006, 02:26 PM
I need to cut some rather large holes in the plywood back of my entertainment unit. What is the best way to do this in situ please without damaging the plywood? Thanks Biko

felixe
19th November 2006, 02:27 PM
Forstner bit?

If in doubt, PM Soundman!

Malibu
19th November 2006, 02:47 PM
Try a holesaw, drill halfway through the ply, then go to the other side of it and start again. This scrapes the surface ply from the hole and you can avoid the break out when you would normally punch through. A little cleanup, and it's as good as gold :)

Iain
19th November 2006, 05:01 PM
Use a grommet too to hide the crappy tear out, and make it look more professional.

soundman
19th November 2006, 11:29 PM
D all of the above.

It all depends on how big your holes need to be and how much you can move the cabinet.

The neatest waw would be with a router taking very fine cuts.......naaa no body bothers

Bang a hole saw thru it:eek: :eek: :D :D cut from both sides if you are keen.

cheers

Flowboy
20th November 2006, 03:11 PM
Use a grommet too to hide the crappy tear out, and make it look more professional.

I assume you will get Wallace's approval?

rowie
20th November 2006, 08:28 PM
There are some pretty fancy plastic inserts you can get that slide open to allow the cords through

Iain
21st November 2006, 07:38 AM
I assume you will get Wallace's approval?

Aaah Lad:D :D :D

There are some pretty fancy plastic inserts you can get that slide open to allow the cords through

See above quote, despite the fancy appearance they are still called grommets, not just the little rubber things that look like sliced olives on a pizza.

GraemeCook
26th November 2006, 02:32 PM
Sharp plunge router works fine.

Also, a hole saw from both sides usually works fine.

If your plywood is particularly splintery perhaps you could put on masking tape first and then saw through the tape.

Cheers

Graeme