PDA

View Full Version : Macma Bandsaw, asking GMC owners, NZ too.

Lateral Thinker
19th November 2006, 03:39 PM
I broght a Macma Bandsaw, from the Hutt Power Tool Centre.

But it appears to be a rebranded version of a bandsaw sold under a few other brands, GMC has one very close, I only am going by a picture of it.

My machine takes a 1710 long blade, can somebody confirm if the GMC stock blades are the same length?

Then, can somebody recommend a saw doctor in my area willing to make up blades? (I have a trade acount with Placemakers,, when I inquired about their saw doctor, i was told thta thiers did not do band saw blades.)

I will eventually make up my own, where (or who) is the best source of blade stock?

The book says not to use a blade narower than 6-mm? that was one specifaction I was unaware of when I brought the machine, I think it is becausae of the ball bearing blade guides, anybody have exerince of ignoring that rule? is there a work around? can blade guides be modified?
Or could I fit an addapeter sort of thing? i was thinking of interchangble guides (I make it myself) or add-on to the exsisting guides for when i use narrower than 6-mm blades.

My machine is a Macma BAS250, and I think it is very well made, very simple inside, strong therefore, no unneeded fancy bits, steel, a pit of alaminuiam bar, no die castings. It is quiet, and apart from the motor, I could easliy make my own repair parts, i.e. i wont be stuck if OEM parts are not obtaible.

paul.cleary
8th January 2007, 08:11 PM
Hi,
best place in Auckland is GP Sawdoctors in East Tamaki. They make up the bandsaw blades to any measurement you want from large rolls of bandsaw blades. Lots of choice as to the type of blade.
They do mail order to firms all over NZ and have an email address:
[email protected]
The prices are good as these people supply the standard length bandsaw blades to outlets like Bunnings, Mitre10 and your local powertool shop.
Paul