PDA

View Full Version : Green wood drying.

WoodWad
28th April 2003, 09:41 AM
Hey all,

I have recently spindle-turned a wet piece of Tassie Myrtle burl into a cylinder (boring) about 70mm thick and 180mm dia. After turning it then sanding it to 2000 grit, I applied Shellawax cream and it looked just great. Then just minutes before attaching it to the rest of the furniture(1 week later), I looked and noticed a beauty of a crack along one of the distinct rays of grain. It's holding together but it scares the crap out of me since it supports a bit of weight. All I can think of is the drying. Should, I have turned it then allowed it to dry, or should I have removed the wax from the surface then dried it?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers. Wad. :eek: :confused:

John Saxton
28th April 2003, 10:07 PM
Wad,perhaps a suggestion of looking at the purchase of a moisture meter down the track which will give you an indication of the stability of the timber you're using.
Moreover, you need to check the environment where the article/piece is being placed that may be subject to variations of humidity...as all timber being porous will be subject to movement in minute proportions even when considered dry!
10-15 % MC ( moisture content)is considered reasonably stable though up to 20% is deemed OK for working.
If you finish a piece that then is placed in a warmer environment especially if the timber is not at a stable MC then movement like opening of cracks/checks are going to occur which is why for one reason there is a resurgence in using recycled timber...being basically stable.
Cheers:)

Yank
2nd May 2003, 03:11 PM
Wad,

I have had good luck with green wood by shortening the dring time by rough turning the spindle and coating it with wax. I have made several Gobblets and such. I posted one here on this site that was three inches round. Rule of thumb is for every inch of wood it takes a year to air dry. So a three inch round pice woud take three years. However if you rough turn it like a green bowl it cuts down the time. I rough turned the gobblet and it only took six mounths to dry. Just make sure you leave it thick so you can adjust for the warping. Hope this helps.
Also as i cut my green bowl blanks i take the scaps and make spindles blanks. I just round them out, coat the ends with wax and put them away. and befor you know it you have tons of dry wood to use.

Yank

Kev Y.
2nd May 2003, 09:26 PM
Wad, if you are really in a hurry to build your furnature out of green timber, you could always try microwaving it after you have rough turned it

there are several sites around that detail the microwaving process.

Kev.