PDA

View Full Version : Yep, its one piece of wood

powderpost
19th November 2006, 10:05 PM
Finished it this afternoon. While doing a bit of a clean up in the shed, I discovered this bit of mango. It was 350mm diameter, 50mm thick and just asking for it. As it developed some pretty awful black stained borer holes appeared in the rim, so I thought it was time to play with some paint. Not a new concept by any means but quite interesting and a first for me.
Jim

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2006, 10:07 PM
Very nice Jim, what type of paint did you use

BernieP
19th November 2006, 10:13 PM
G'Day Jim

Like that very nice,colour really compliments the wood

Cheers
Bernie

powderpost
19th November 2006, 10:15 PM
The paint is an acrylic paint as used by folk artists. Not affected by a top coat of lacquer. My first experiment in using paint.
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2006, 12:52 AM
Very effective! How'd you stipple it?

I've seen similar work with copper applique that'd been stained different shades with, I assume, acids. I don't know for sure 'cos the bloke who did it refused to talk about even the basic idea... but he was sure interested in selling it to me at a ridiculous price! :mad:

Gil Jones
20th November 2006, 05:37 AM
Jim, that is a very nicely done platter!
Great figure in the Mango wood.

TTIT
20th November 2006, 08:56 AM
Looks great Jim :) (but then I like the borer holes too!) Lovely figure for 'orrible old mango.
Yet another treatment that's "on my list" - do I really have to wait for retirement before I get time to try all these things????:(

OGYT
20th November 2006, 11:44 AM
G'day, Jim, I like it too. But I also like the wormholes. Don't ever let anyone know how easy it is to train the worms... they'll not pay as much for th' piece! :o)

powderpost
20th November 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the nice comments.
Skew, the process was done under supervision from swmbo. When it comes to colours, I wear a blue sock and a red sock, if you get my drift. The paint is applied with a very coarse sponge, two darker colours first, then when it is dry (about half hour) apply two lighter colours with the sponge. Two things I found is first don't overwork the sponge bit, second apply a coat of sanding sealer before painting. The over-paint is bloody difficult to get out of the pores.
I don't mind the holes either, but that was the excuse to try painting. It has been on the agenda for a long time now.
TTit, no, just give up the sleeping routine. :)
Jim