PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast MC900 - OK ?

Rebus
20th January 2003, 09:51 PM
Greetings,

I have been lurking in the background for a few months and finally have a good reason to post.

I have been considering the purchase of a lathe for some time and had almost reached the point of ordering a Vicmarc VL200. However, I have just been offered a second hand Woodfast MC900 - (0.75 Kw motor, 1000mm between centres, gap bed, 420mm swing in gap, 300mm swing above bed.)

The Woodfast appears to have been made in '87, has had little use (by its appearance and the seller's claim) and appears to be in very good condition.

My main concern is that the tool rest post is only 19mm diameter rather than the now more generally used 30 mm.

I am seeking views on whether the 19mm post will provide adequate support for general turning or if vibration would be a problem with longer rests.

Any other experinces/comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Rebus

q9
21st January 2003, 10:59 PM
19mm steel rod is still pretty strong. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest. There are a multitude of reasons manufactures change "standard" sizes, some of them to do with compatability between brands and differing models/sizes of lathe. If it is a good price, go for it.

rsser
23rd January 2003, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure that 30mm posts are the norm actually, but Vicmarc went to that size because of strength concerns with smaller diameter posts.

You might also consider whether the Woodfast motor will have enought grunt to do what you want. For large bowls I feel it would be underpowered.

Cheers,

Ern

ozbeast
23rd January 2003, 03:35 PM
19mm toolrest is a bit dicey speaking from personal and limited experience. Namely I snapped one a few weeks back and turned a roughing gouge into boomerang. It was a cast tool rest admittedly. ;p

ubeaut
23rd January 2003, 05:33 PM
Ozbeast - Sound like you not only need a new toolrest and gouge but but some serious woodturning lessons.
I worked for 30 odd years with 19mm (3/4") toolrests and never bent or broke one. As for the roughing gouge. Struth!!

I only hope that the experience didn't put you off turning for life.

My current tool rest has a 30mm shaft, not because the 19mm was inadequate but because it's what came with the lathe.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif