PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with producing new videos

Stuart
1st August 2006, 09:48 AM
Anyone needing help editing their raw camera work, I'm happy to do it. All I need is a high quality avi or other standard format file (so our options are open for other formats later), and what you want edited, or just an overall instruction to finish it off (I'll go through, edit out coughs, parts that don't need to be there etc).

So don't spend too much time worrying about editing your footage as you shoot it in-camera. Keep the camera rolling, and we will sort it out in post-production! So for example, if you were clamping something up for a glueing demo, and you drop the lot, don't worry about backing the tape up etc, just start that part again

Probably best to get it to me on DVD (as 1 hour raw avi footage is about 4 dvds! - 12GB), so PM me for an address. Alternatively, if you have a DVD camera, you can send me the DVD from that or for MiniDV cameras, send me the tape and I'll send them back once I have the footage off it.

There are others here as well who can help with the same service, or if you are trying to do it yourself, just ask if you get a bit stuck - there is quite a bit of video production experience here now!

Rocker
23rd November 2006, 11:01 AM
Stuart,

Please advise as to which format (Video, or VR) is preferable for DVD-RW disks.

Rocker

Stuart
23rd November 2006, 11:12 AM
Video I'm guessing would be the higher quality - so go with that. If it comes as AVI that's fine too - we can convert pretty much anything to anything, and the higher the quality just means we have more options about how good the final version will look, while optimising file size.

rsser
21st January 2007, 09:04 AM
A side issue: is there any real risk using a video cam in a dusty environment?

TIA

Stuart
21st January 2007, 10:53 AM
If it is really dusty, then that could cause significant damage

Any dust isn't a great idea. My suggestion is if you are worried - place the camera in a plastic bag, and cut a hole for the lens. Secure it with a rubber band, or screw a clear filter onto the lens to hold the bag in place. Remember to test how the sound records through the bag!

Gumby
21st January 2007, 11:21 AM
A side issue: is there any real risk using a video cam in a dusty environment?

TIA

Just to take one video for an hour or less, I doubt it's a problem. If it is, your dust collection system needs an overhaul. :wink:

rsser
21st January 2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks.

The kid is saving up for a shmick video cam; should be the first time the borrower shoe is on the other foot ;-}

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2007, 09:28 PM
Alternatively, if you have a DVD camera, you can send me the DVD from that or for MiniDV cameras, send me the tape and I'll send them back once I have the footage off it.

One word of caution: if you're going to send a MiniDV tape, check that it's playable in another camera first.

Like some old video recorders, the tracking can vary quite a bit and what is playble on the orig. camera may be seen as a blank tape on another. So save yourself some hassle and maybe some postage, eh?

Better still, dump it to your 'puta and burn it to some DVDs instead. :wink:

Grahame Collins
23rd October 2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Stuart,
I would like to do videos but of arc welding ,oxy cutting and associated metal work subjects.

The videos are intended as instructional material for the metalwork forum and for instructional videos for students at the school where I teach man arts and engineering subjects.

I would like advice on what camera one would choose to do this .I am concerned about selecting the correct unit to handle the bright light emission welding arc and oxy cutting processes.
I have worked with a professional tv station camera man when making instructional videos during my teacher training in the mid 80's .The process is not to much of a problem, but the type of camera is. At that time the guy had those giant Betamax cameras worth a fortune then.

Any information ,you may offer, I will be really grateful for.
thanks
Grahame Collins