PDA

View Full Version : INLAYING Feathers , any one done it ? i'll have a go

SawDustSniffer
20th November 2006, 09:16 PM
Photo 1 : a Rose i carved after turning a Twisted shaft Goblet out of Iron Bark ( from the old darwin cattle quarenten yards ) finnished in wattle 7001 epoxy
Photo 2 : big stash of nice Feathers ( Red Tail Black Cockatoo male & female )

Now i thought the rose needs colour , so red feathers would be nice
But how do you inlay feathers ?, so i'll have to stuff around and give it ago

Photo 3 male and female feathers coated in Wattle 7001 clear epoxy on nonstick plastic ( i hope )
When i coated the feathers ,the feathers went transperent ( not good )

Photo4 male and female feathers coated in wattle 7001 stuck to aluminium foil ,to solve the transparent problem

1 problem with wattle 7001 , drying time , to be cont.........

i added the last photo when hughie asked , 1 foot away from a 80watt fluro , with web cam , the first photo is more the colour ( almost black )

ss_11000
20th November 2006, 09:29 PM
very intersting idea. it will be good to see how they turn out.

TTIT
21st November 2006, 12:16 AM
Got some Owl feathers here that would look pretty cool inlaid - watching - waiting!!!
In the meantime, have you got a better pic of the Rose???

hughie
21st November 2006, 12:27 AM
Hmmm feathers, cant say that I ever given the idea much thought. Will look forward to the pics when you get em

echnidna
21st November 2006, 08:38 AM
you might be able to do it decoupage style.

SawDustSniffer
21st November 2006, 10:27 PM
I found the the aluminium foil backed feathers to reflective , thay look like metallic pant so thay were put in the other project box ,

I started off cutting into the rose with a Dremel ,hollowing out to about 1.2 to 2 mm where this set of inlay will sit leaving 3 to 4 mm around the top eadge (Photo 1 )and sanded it smooth with 120 grit paper

With a peace of paper i marked a stencill and cut the red feather to match
Also cut up a house hold scoura (sponge) so rubber bands will force all the corners into the corners (photo 2 & 3 )

After glueing (7001) both the timber and feather then covering in plastic rap , i had a hard time linning it up but got there , then placed the scoura under the rubber band and added 2 more rubber bands (Photo 4 )

I was talking to the owner where i caretake about the Iron Bark i used and he said he saved the timber because the old cattle yards came from the rebuild of Darwin Whalf after Jappanise Attack in 1942 , will have to find out when the whalf was first built this stuff must be old
Photo 5 "its in there some where "

Doc Ron
22nd November 2006, 12:43 PM
Sawwdust sniffer.
Came across this thread on another forum recently.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19249

He is making fly rods, and shows some feathers inlaid. Might be worth an email.
Doc Ron

beginner
22nd November 2006, 08:06 PM
mate i love your goblet. just one quick question. how do you get the shaft twisted like that?

SawDustSniffer
22nd November 2006, 09:00 PM
so now the clear finnish 7001 epoxy is dry and ive taken off the rubber bands and nonstick plastic ( plastic off smoke pack, found glad rap to thin)

the feather is a bit more trasparent than i would like , was about to rip it all out and do it again ,but i might leave it and do the other side with the foil backed feather then chose which one to rip out and redo , (Photo1)

the twist is made with a round file , first you mark along the shaft straight lines 180 deg from each other , then mark lines around the shaft the same thickness as the shaft , draw the twist lines going between the joins in your lines ( at 45deg ) , then file following the lines , it's easier to do it when the goblit is still in the lath

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd November 2006, 10:14 PM
Definitely a different piece. Any chance of a close up of the side of the goblet?

ss_11000
23rd November 2006, 04:14 PM
cool work mate

SawDustSniffer
23rd November 2006, 07:02 PM
ive added a close up for skew (photo 1 ) , there's a limit to my web cam's focus and depth of feild ,tryed to scan it but didnt work , dam i miss my Nikon D80 with 55mm 1:2 macro (stolen last year ) , the surface has a few blemishes , it's been sanded back with 220 girt ( to remove lumps and bumps from plastic ) and given 1 coat , should have 2 more to get the surface glass but cince im gonna rip it out later i wont bother getting it purfect

( Photo 2 ) a scan of feathers with scanner lid up you can see how see through the first ( top ) feather i use go's , why the aluminium foil backed one went black ???

( Photo 3 ) a scan of feathers with scanner lid down

i'll be useing the 2nd from the top next , it's a feather glued to white paper with the back painted white , the paper went clear when i coated it in epoxy so i painted it white on the back

so ill glue it all up and see how it go's

SawDustSniffer
28th November 2006, 10:09 PM
ok ran through the same process with the white backed feather , plastic ,sponge , rubber bands , 2nd coat to get all the edges right , and 1 coat over the top , the last coat reacted to the humidity ,normally dont use epoxy over 60% humidity , but it's happend before and will just have to sand out the air bubbles

so the first photo is of the transparent side

the second photo of the painted white on the back

dam i like the transparent side better , not as bright , LOL
the next post will be of inlay with the feather painted red on the back , ill get it exacly the way i want it , ( half way between the 2 attemps ) even if it takes 10 attemps

will have to bye some red paint tomorrow

3rd is my ashes ern LOL will mount it fallen over spilling the ashes for the wall at my local pub , PS i havent cut the stump off the bottom , or turned up the base yet , well havent even attached the handles but thay are made ,

doyle007
29th November 2006, 12:17 AM
SawDust, a lot of fishing rod builders are doing feather inlays. I would think that the process would be somewhat similar to what you are looking to accomplish. Doc Ron gave you a good site, but you should also search the forum on www.rodbuilding.org (http://www.rodbuilding.org), and clicking on the search forum. Make sure that you set the time period to "All Dates", and not just the default 30 days.

I did a quick search, and came up with the following:
http://www.rodbuilding.org/search.php?2,search=feather+inlay,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,body=1,author=1,subject=1

It appears as if one of the back issues of Rod Maker magazine had an article about feather inlays. I don't have that issue, as I started my subscription after the article was published, but you can purchase back issues from the website.

There are a lot of rod builders that use lathes to turn wooden rod handles, cork grips, etc., so you should be able to find some good information.