PDA

View Full Version : Lathe drive-belt tension

Rebus
27th January 2003, 10:21 AM
Greetings once more,

Firstly, thanks to those who responded to my post below regarding tool post diameters. I have now bought/installed the Woodfast MC900 and have even managed to turn out 3 tool handles with a reasonable degree of success.

I can detect some vibration when working at the ends of the 300mm rest, but probably no more than reasonable and generally only when roughing the blank.

While working on the handles I have been checking the lathe to confirm that everything is OK. I noted that the bearings are running quite cool (just a little warm to the hand) but the drive pulley was in fact quite a bit hotter (not too hot to touch, but noticably hotter). The heat is clearly coming from the friction of the drive belt as it rubs against the pulley sides. I am quite sure that the belt is not slipping given the amount of tension and also the light cut that I am using. The belt is a standard type V belt and appears to be in quite good order.

So, the question is: How much tension should be placed on the drive belt and what is the best way to measure it ?

Thanks in advance,
Rebus

Red neck
27th January 2003, 06:46 PM
Shouldn't need a lot of tension. I have a Record lathe with the motor mounted on a pivot pin behind the headstock. The weight of the motor is sufficient tension for the belt.

Check your pulleys for alignment. If the motor pulley is not aligned with the headstock pulley some vibration could be produced. A steel rule with the edge held against the inside faces of each pulley will show up any inaccuracy.

The pulley will probably have an allen or grub screw that may be loosened to slide it along the shaft for alignment.

The Record has a 19mm post on the toolrest and doesn't give any problems at the extremeties of chisel travel.

RN

[This message has been edited by Red neck (edited 27 January 2003).]