PDA

View Full Version : Installing surface water drainage

coastie
29th April 2003, 06:09 PM
Anybody out there ever installed "Everhard" strip drains.I have a problem with seepage laying on my side passage for days before it eventually dries up,its usually about 12 mm deep.It seems that I will have to concrete saw a trench etc to install it.There is a standard floor grate right on the corner of my house to allow for stormwater drainage but it is too high for the seepage to drain to.Any suggestions would be welcomed.

soundman
30th April 2003, 11:57 PM
You think you've got problems.
I'm flogging my way thru a raft of drainage issues here too.

If the water isn't draining into your pit check the heights and your falls before you do anything.

remember water flows down hill.

A dumpy or a waterlevel will tell you the truth.

I found that several of my pits were not at the correct height and some of my drains weren't falling properly.
Much digging & resetting required.

Check out your levels
you may get away with a simple spoon drain.

My main concern with the plastic drains is that they just sit there. the don't maintain the integrity of your slab & I don't believe they seal.

jamesy
1st May 2003, 09:44 PM
Here is a standard- for drainage make your fall a minimum 1 in 100, below that and you've got problems.

If you're side is soil based then try digging a drainage trench( 300mm deep will do) with the recommended fall as far away from the area as possible, ie into your stormwater pipe or gravel pit. Lay a bed of 20mm drainage gravel in the trench then lay a socked agricultural pipe in the trench to your outlet. top the trench up with 20mm gravel and turf over the top -problem solved.

If your area is concrete then find the low point and put a 300mm pit in at this point and use a hard pipe or socked agi and complete the same as above, just remember that the pipe that comes out of the pit should be a an inch or so above its bottom so that any sediment stays there and can be cleaned out .

Both should help with both seepage and surface water.

Check the prices and I think that you will find that the everhard spoon drains are fairly expensive and you'll need to get the fall anyway.