PDA

View Full Version : sandpaper suppliers

gratay
21st November 2006, 04:57 PM
I am wondering if anyone in australia sells sheets large enough to line sanding dishes (24" diameter) ....preferably with sticky backing and preferably 1 sheet.......I've only seen it for sale in the states.
maybe I'll have to buy a roll and have strips of paper...I'm not sure?

So while we are at it....Who supplies your sandpaper?
because you can go through a lot of it.... I always have used 3M 's gear..the only other one i've tried is SIA and didn't think it was as good as 3M. but there are probably a lot of others ....
what brands have people found the best quality?

its got me thinking as i just bought some sheets of wet and dry admittedly from bunnings......to hone the sole of my planes and they didn't seem to cut for very long and buying per sheet is just to expensive.....
cheers for any input...

jmk89
21st November 2006, 05:01 PM
I buy mine online from Elraco:
http://elraco.com.au/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=434f8cfd755bc9111ea66e7e5b520fd7

They have a good range and better prices - if you buy some bulk.

But I am not sure that they have what you seem to be talking about.

martrix
21st November 2006, 05:04 PM
I get mine from here Abrasive Products in Dandenong (http://www.abrasiveproducts.com.au/).
Send them an email and they should be able to help you out with just about anything, cheapest I can find.

Malibu
21st November 2006, 05:28 PM
I'm in the same process at the moment looking for 18" discs for the sander face. We buy in 32" at work that are specially made, but I haven't as yet talked to the boss to find out who supplies them. I'm pretty sure there's a minimum order quantity though. I'll find out tomorrow and let you know.

kiwigeo
21st November 2006, 05:32 PM
I use belt sander sized sandpaper and stick it onto my dishes using double sided tape. Not the ideal way of doing it but it works and it's cost effective.

I havent tried spray on adhesive but it would probably give a better result than the double sided tape.

contrebasse
21st November 2006, 07:09 PM
harry vatiliotis has a 5ft x 4ft board covered in a single sheet of 80 grit for levelling double bass and cello corner blocks.

I don't know where he got that sandpaper, next time I see him i'll ask him. Seems a bit overkill to me though ...

Jackspira
22nd November 2006, 10:37 PM
Hi grant, I don't know about the large size paper, but there is a good general abrasives place near you. On Burwood Hwy about 1km after the junction with ferntree gully road, heading into town ( sorry to everyone not in melbourne!) Its an auto paint shop, not a very big place so look out for the sign that says auto paints. Its brilliant for sanding discs and paper of all kinds right up to 2500 grit.
jack

old_picker
22nd November 2006, 10:49 PM
That'd be not far from clarke rubber right??

Jackspira
22nd November 2006, 10:56 PM
yep! just a bit furthur along

martrix
22nd November 2006, 11:00 PM
Hi grant, I don't know about the large size paper, but there is a good general abrasives place near you. On Burwood Hwy about 1km after the junction with ferntree gully road, heading into town ( sorry to everyone not in melbourne!) Its an auto paint shop, not a very big place so look out for the sign that says auto paints. Its brilliant for sanding discs and paper of all kinds right up to 2500 grit.
jack

Yep, know it well. Been going there for years very helpful and pretty good prices..
They have got everything from enamel paint, to acrylic lacquer, to 2-pac and something I am yet to try is an Isocyanate-free 2 -pac. Anyone ever heard of that before?

The shop is on a little side road in a group of three, Fishing shop on the left and a Chinese restaurant on the right...
Total Tools is also a minute down the road on the same side, very cool, but very pricey! Just behind Total Tools is a nuts and bolts shop very handy...

Milsome's Auto Paints Pty Ltd

718 Burwood Hwy Ferntree Gully VIC 3156
ph: (03) 9752 2544

Jackspira
22nd November 2006, 11:08 PM
thanks matrix! much better directions than mine!

gratay
23rd November 2006, 08:01 AM
thanks guys I will check out all those suppliers....thats fantastic.... and i don't even have to get the melways out...cheers