PDA

View Full Version : VM100 chuck on a GMC

robatman
23rd November 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi all,
Well I know the GMC lathe has its limitations- most of them we cant do anything about! But I got a VM100 knock off from H&F and had previously been mounting it in the 4 jaw independant chuck. This was quite cumbersome (and damn near impossible to truly centre it) but I managed to turn a few bowls up to 10" and it handled no probs......

A few people here had said the thread of the GMC was incompatible with any scroll chucks, but i have found Vicmark does an 3/4" 16tpi insert that means now we can mount their chuck properly. (~$30)

Thought this might help a few GMC owners out there unwilling to own up to having such a shameful lathe and chuck options.

This buys us some time untill we all come to our senses and convert it into a disc sander and get an upgrade lathe.

Robert

Stuart
23rd November 2006, 10:52 AM
excellent! I will tell my......uh.......friend the news. Where would.....uh......he buy one of these inserts?

baxter
23rd November 2006, 11:11 AM
excellent! I will tell my......uh.......friend the news. Where would.....uh......he buy one of these inserts?

Probably not where he brought the GMC as highly technical equipment - such as an inert :D :D , is probably beyond the scope of their stock from Chiwane:) sources.

Stuart, you....r friend:p ...could probably buy one from any Vicmarc retailer such as Jim Carrol or Carbatec.

Stuart
23rd November 2006, 11:14 AM
I'll send him their way :D - Thanks on his behalf ;)

robatman
24th November 2006, 09:20 AM
Hi Stuart,
Please thank your friend for the original idea of mounting the chuck in the GMC 4 jaw, I had him in mind when i posted this. I got mine from Carbatec Sydney, but like baxter says most Vicmarck stockists should be able to fix you... or your friend up!!
Robert

keith53
24th November 2006, 09:48 AM
Interesting. I've got a Vicmarc 100 chuck on my Record lathe and if memory serves me correctly the adapter was also 3/4" 16 tpi. They're a good bit of kit. Just a shame I can't afford the lathe of the same name. One day...

Stuart
24th November 2006, 11:43 AM
:cool:

Sprog
24th November 2006, 12:51 PM
FWIW - You can also get a 3/4 16tpi insert for the Nova chucks.

Jim Carroll
24th November 2006, 05:26 PM
Robert dont know who told you that you could not get an insert but all the common chucks can be fitted with the 3/4 x16 threaded insert, Vicmarc or Nova.

The chiwanese ones are mostly dedicated threads so do not have the capability of using the insert system.

Farnk
24th November 2006, 10:47 PM
Yea, ran a VM100 on my gmc for a couple of years before upgrsding to the leda..