PDA

View Full Version : Review - Nova Cole Jaws

Dean
23rd November 2006, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

Just completed a review of the Nova Cole Jaws (for bowl turners).
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/

Hope it helps.

OGYT
27th November 2006, 02:43 PM
G'day, Dean, thanks for the review.
I got a question for you: Ever find a bowl that the jaws wouldn't fit? What I'm gettin' at is this: Largest bowl my cole jaws will fit is 9-5/8 inches. But that's not what bothers me. It's that sometimes I make a bowl that's smaller than that, but the jaws won't hold it. The buttons mounted in one hole won't open up enough to put the bowl in, and the next hole up won't close down tight enough on the bowl to hold it.
What do you do in that case? I'm serious... happens all the time. End up having to put some rubber grommets around the buttons.

baxter
27th November 2006, 04:37 PM
OGYT the expansion available on a Supernova 2 Chuck is around 22mm (25.4mm = 1"). If the screw hole rings on the Cole Jaws are incremented wider than this then it accounts for your problem.

Two solutions, turn to a diameter or get some larger rubber buttons from your local rubber store (Clarke Rubber in my area). IMHO putting a grommet around the supplied buttons provide potential for disaster.

RETIRED
27th November 2006, 06:27 PM
This is what you want John. At the bottom of the page.
http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107145578

rsser
27th November 2006, 08:58 PM
Just get some router mat and cut strips to pack out the difference.

baxter
27th November 2006, 10:49 PM
Robo, was aware of the extensions, but my reply to OGYT was along the lines of larger diameter buttons - to fill the gap - and not longer buttons.

RETIRED
28th November 2006, 07:53 AM
Robo, was aware of the extensions, but my reply to OGYT was along the lines of larger diameter buttons - to fill the gap - and not longer buttons.
I was referring to the larger not longer buttons.

Another way to do it is replace the rubber ones with wooden cleats and use sponge rubber so as not to mar the work.

baxter
28th November 2006, 08:25 AM
I was referring to the larger not longer buttons.

, we are on the same wave length. The larger buttons, on Jim's site, are the ones that come with the Vicmarc Bowl Jaws (which I have) and I assumed the standard buttons on the Cole Jaws were probably of a similar overall diameter - except for the diferent shape.

The main thing is that the solution to OGYT's problem would appear to include some form of larger button on his Cole Jaws.

OGYT
28th November 2006, 12:52 PM
Baxter, , and all, my SN2 chuck with either set of jaws have precisely 7/8" expansion. The Cole jaw button holes are exactly 1/2" between centers. I don't understand why it will close on certain bowl sizes, and won't on others. It may be the diameter of the buttons that make the difference (I didn't measure those).
I made my own button extensions using pieces of 1/8" vinyl hose inserted inside 1/4", inside 3/8", etc. (I don't remember the exact dimensions, but you get the idea).
I guess I can make some larger diameter buttons the same way.
Another tho't: Isn't there a screw I can remove on one of the SN2 slides that I can remove that will allow the jaws to open wider? But I suppose that'd be a dangerous thing to do... ???

rsser
28th November 2006, 01:31 PM
Hmm, the Vicmarc 100 has around 30mm expansion just as a by-the-way.

RETIRED
28th November 2006, 03:33 PM
Al, you don't have the mini Cole Jaws by chance?

Captain Chaos
28th November 2006, 08:18 PM
I got a question for you: Ever find a bowl that the jaws wouldn't fit? What I'm gettin' at is this: Largest bowl my cole jaws will fit is 9-5/8 inches. But that's not what bothers me. It's that sometimes I make a bowl that's smaller than that, but the jaws won't hold it. The buttons mounted in one hole won't open up enough to put the bowl in, and the next hole up won't close down tight enough on the bowl to hold it.

G'day Al,
Just a quick line to let you know that you're not the last man to leave & therefore you don't have to turn the light off before you go.;) I've also copped the same problem from time to time with the Cole Jaws on my original Nova chuck, usually when reverse chucking the bowl to finish the foot. Haven't really worked out why this happens yet. I'm usually spending my time buggerizing around, trying to secure the bowl in order to finish turn the foot. I just thought that it was me turning weird size bowls, instead of working to set dimensions.:confused::D
Regards,
Barry.

OGYT
29th November 2006, 02:28 PM
: "Al, you don't have the mini Cole Jaws by chance?"
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->Nope. My Cole jaws are the size made for a 10" lathe.
Barry: "I just thought that it was me turning weird size bowls, instead of working to set dimensions."
I don't want to work to set dimensions, either, Barry. The manufacturer advertises the Cole jaws as if it would work on any size up to 10". Since it don't work the way it's advertised, they oughta change it. Hughie's additional jaws will make the cole jaws better. I'll stagger the holes, when I make mine, and make sure the rubber buttons will cover every size, up to the max., or I'll just keep making holes til it does. :o

rsser
29th November 2006, 02:41 PM
FWIW, there are designs out there for vacuum chucks you can make yourself, and they work fine for finishing off the foot. A lot less messing around.

rsser
29th November 2006, 02:48 PM
... ps, guess we've hijacked your post Dean. Just wanted to say yours was a useful review.

baxter
29th November 2006, 06:23 PM
... ps, guess we've hijacked your post Dean. Just wanted to say yours was a useful review.

Whose Dean:D :D :D , oh him:) :) :) , good review Dean:p

OGYT go to Technatool and see if they have an answer:confused:. Then let us know:cool:

OGYT
7th December 2006, 01:07 PM
Baxter suggested that I go to Teknatool and see what they'd say. I did.
I emailed Tim Geist, the USA service rep for Teknatool, and told him the problem.:(
What I got was instant service. :D Awesome! He emailed me right back, and asked for my phone number. He called me this morning. Had me turn over one of the Cole jaws and take a look at the back.
The jaws are dimpled between each hole. He said if I would send the jaws to him, he would drill and tap 'em out for me and send them back... no charge.!!! How 'bout that?:eek:
He said it doesn't look like there's enough room, but there is, and they were tapping those holes in the new jaws they're selling now.:cool:
I asked what size: 6mmX2pitch. I told him I would just get a tap, and do it myself, and save him the trouble. Thanked him, for the information.
Teknatool's got some good service!!!:D :D
Let you know how it turns out.

rsser
7th December 2006, 01:17 PM
Cool.

They're pretty responsive out here too - unless you make design improvement suggestions ;-}

baxter
7th December 2006, 03:53 PM
Great to hear OGYT.

I had a similar experience on the occasions that I have sought assistance from Teknatool:D . When you can deal directly with the manufacturer/rep you get better service :) than going through a retailer on a warranty type situation:( .

RETIRED
7th December 2006, 06:24 PM
Cool.

They're pretty responsive out here too - unless you make design improvement suggestions ;-}I second that. And I used to demonstrate and sell them.

Still the best value for money lathe on the market IMHO.