PDA

View Full Version : ear protection

Tonyz
24th November 2006, 09:30 PM
I own a seed grading business. Its a mobile unit that runs a perkins motor and has chains,belts,augers, elevators, screens etc so it makes a hellava noise.
2 years ago I tried some custom made earplugs that are fanbloodytastic.They are sold by a franchise outfit called 'earmold.com.au'
They are a silicone type stuff that is pushed into ya lugole and before it sets a peice of fancy colored string is stuck into both peices.
They come in assorted colors and can even have attachments for MP3's fitted. The whoke job takes about 20 minutes and cost is about $65 for basic.

I use them all day sometimes 14 hours! and end of the job no sore or ringing ears. Its takes the abusive noise away yet you can still hear the other guy talking.
Ive even used them with the router and table saw.
At this stage I have nothing to do with the company but think there is a potential for the future in off seasonal work.

regards Tony

Ironwood
24th November 2006, 09:47 PM
Judging by the look of your ears in your avatar pic, you would need custom made jobs. :p

Seriouly though, I have a set of similar ear plugs that my employer got made for me, they are fantastic.
I got one normal one for each ear, and they supplied an extra rh one, which has a plug for the 2-way radio to connect to, which transmits my voise (using vibrations through my jawbone when I talk apparantly)when I hold a little button down on the lead which clips onto my shirt collar, as well as providing the sound for the 2-way.
They reckon they paid $1400 for the set :eek:

soundman
27th November 2006, 10:18 AM
Custom ear plugs have be arround for quite some time..... unfortunatly this isn't a well know fact.
One of the companies I deal with was the agent for "earmic" at one stage.
If it is this device they are very clever. they actualy pick up the sound from your ear canal.
They actualy use them in conjunction with high attenuation ear muffs in high noise situations.... its the only way to get a clean signal.

Just be sure you have enough atteuation for the situation with plugs alone.

cheers