PDA

View Full Version : Refresh my memory please - Rods??

Tony Clarke
26th November 2006, 06:53 PM
I heard the expression today "working from rods" I recollect hearing that a long time ago. Something about use of templates or like, if I am correct.
Can anyone jog my memory please?

ozwinner
26th November 2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe you are talking about story rods, as you say they are templates.
You use a rod or stick to record how and when you make stuff, dimensions etc.
Used a lot in wood turning.

Al :)

craigb
26th November 2006, 08:36 PM
A.k.a a storey stick I guess.

China
26th November 2006, 08:47 PM
A Rod is basicaly full size plan of what you are going to construct, quite often drawn on strips of ply, all the measurements and dimensions are on this strip and it is what you refer to when you need to need to obtain any measurement, if the rod is wrong then the project will also be wrong. You then store it away, next time you or anyone else wants to build that project it can be used again, if you know a cabinet maker get them to show you one and it will be much easier to grasp the concept

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2006, 12:12 AM
Think of it as a long ruler with only the markings that are needed to complete the project. ;)

joe greiner
27th November 2006, 02:22 AM
Same idea, but called "story pole" for unit masonry (brick & block).

Another possibility(?): Some wood lathes have a contraption for production spindle work to set alongside the work piece. Adjustable wire fingers (rods?) rotate about the contraption's axis, lay across the blank, and fall off the workpiece at various locations when designated diameters have been achieved.

Joe