PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi ERT2100 Router Bit slipping

Graham99
26th November 2006, 08:13 PM
Hi there,

Got the Ryobi ERT2100 Router today and overall found it to be a very smooth machine and easy to operate.

I have only one gripe with the machine, and that is the 1/4" collet is not hanging onto my bits. The first time I put the bit in and tightened it up (have used a router before so know to put some effort into the collet nut) when I turned the machine upright the bit just fell out.

So pulled the collet, made sure it was absolutely clean, and then made sure the slots on the reducing collet lined up with the 1/2" collet slots and had another go. It held better but slowly worked it's way down the shaft until I stopped the machine.

All my router bits measured out at 6.34mm exactly, measured with a micrometer. So it's not the router bits. I got the thing from bunnies Minchinbury, do I take it back or is there more to check. Has anybody else experienced anything with this particular router. Should I invest in 1/2" Routers.

Regards
Graham

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2006, 08:23 PM
Would be pretty obvious but are you sure it's not a 8mm collet

Graham99
27th November 2006, 11:47 AM
I will double check but I dont think it is an 8mm collet. The bits slid in easily enough but they did not have excessive freeplay. Is it possible to buy collets from a 3rd party that are up to the job. I really like the router, and my plan is to put it into a table someday hence the reason why i got the one with the grunt.

Thanks
Graham

joe greiner
28th November 2006, 12:06 AM
I just pulled the collet (1/4in) on my RE180PL. Assuming a 8mm collet is the same basic design, I don't see how a 8mm collet could clamp anywhere near a 1/4in shank. (About 0.065" gap divided by pi is about 0.0206" diameter adjustment.)

I suspect you have a defective 1/4in collet. The dealer should be willing & able to make this right, even if they have to exchange the entire machine.

Joe