PDA

View Full Version : Making a drawer pull with an insert

Dod
24th January 2003, 06:02 AM
I can't work out how to make a small round drawer pull/handle where there is a circle of contrasting wood.
This drawer pull would be about 20mm in diameter (say in pine) with a 2mm (say jarrah) concentric circle about 5mm in from the edge.
Can anybody help?
Thanks
Dod

Phil Dowthwaite
24th January 2003, 08:35 AM
hi Dod,
I guess you could do this one or two ways, but I would first rough turn the handle so you have the size to work too. Then turn your contrasting wood in a ring.

Once mounted in your chuck drill a hole and turn down the outer side to a ring of about 1-2 mm thick. Part it off at about 1-2 mm.
Re-mount your handle and with a parting tool or similar, make a recess to match the dimensions of your ring. If you leave it a lttle proud at this point you will be able to skim the excess once it is superglued in place.
Hope this makes sence? Life is much easer with pictures.
Regards Phil

Dod
27th January 2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks Phil,
Is the an easier way? I only have a cheap asian lathe, and I have to screw the work item to a plate to be able to turn anything.

I have been considering buying one of those little lathes, the Clisby ot Taig. They seem pretty small but appear very accurate.
Regards
Dod

rsser
30th January 2003, 06:55 AM
Depends how wedded you are to the contrast in a different wood.

You might consider turning it in one piece but turning a groove where you want the contrasting ring. Then take to the knob, carefully, with a blow torch to char it, and finally turn the rest away to reveal the uncharred wood.

This would work best with even-grained, denser timbers.

Another option, instead of charring, would be simply to colour the groove with a marker pen or stain.

Cheers,

Ern

[This message has been edited by rsser (edited 30 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by rsser (edited 30 January 2003).]