PDA

View Full Version : Fitting digital measurement on a 15" thicknesser?

Waldo
27th November 2006, 12:17 PM
G'day,

I liked the Deluxe model (C/Tech CTJ-381) over the lesser one for a number of reassons, one of them being the ruler fitted to the thicknesser.

It's a bit over 2mm out, I can't move it from it's position to recalibrate it, I don't want to drill new holes to align it correctly and it' a pain to remember how far it's out so I creep up to the thickness that I want and checking the stock off on a ruler, but it's a pain in the neck.

When I posted the thread about the thicknesser a few of you wrote that you've since done away with the ruler and fitted a digital ruler or similar to the thicknesser. What I'm after is where you got it from and some shots of how you've attached it and where etc.?

I'd love some help as it's bugging the hell out of me. :mad: :(

Wood Butcher
27th November 2006, 03:04 PM
Waldo,

The thicknesser that NewLou just bought had one fitted in the photo. Might be a start.
http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=34606

NewLou
27th November 2006, 06:01 PM
Gidday Waldo:)

I'll take a few close up snaps to give you an idea of how they go about it. It may even be worth while getting in contact with HAre & Forbes. I have found the boys in Sydney excellent to deal with n really happy to help out they might have some aftermarket solutions that could be just the ticket.

I find the digital readout on my thicknesser excellent................keep us posted on how you get on

REgards Lou:D:D:D

JDarvall
27th November 2006, 06:07 PM
You own that thicknesser !? ......ya bastard ;)

scooter
27th November 2006, 06:29 PM
Idea (http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2006/06/09/sn/print/)for you with a dial indicator, Chris.

From this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33041&highlight=digital)thread.

Cheers.............Sean

Waldo
27th November 2006, 07:15 PM
G'day,

Thanks to all who replied with some help. Looks like a trip to Hare & Forbes is the idea, and get my thicknesser rigged up like NewLou's. Thanks for the photos NewLou.

Jake, I could say the same about all those planes you've got hidden away in that shed of yours - lucky bugger ;)

Sean, I thought about a dial indicator, but those fancy looking clock radio thing numbers look good to me.

It'll be a while before I get out to H&H, but at least a solution has been found.

lesmeyer
27th November 2006, 11:30 PM
Waldo,
I fitted a digital system to my CTJ381. I kept the ruler and fitted it to the other side. It is also connected to a larger readout that sits on top next to the wheel that raises/lowers the table. Will take some piccys tomorrow and post.
Les

Waldo
28th November 2006, 03:48 PM
G'day Lesmeyer,

Thanks for that. You replied with a post in my thread when I got the thicknesser that you had added a digital ruler, i thought of sending you a PM, but thought you'd see this thread and I'd also get posts from others who have done similar or who have machines with similar already installed e.g. NewLou.

So while I get myslef into gear keep the ideas coming.

lesmeyer
28th November 2006, 07:29 PM
Waldo,
attached are the piccys of how the digi readout is attached. I drilled holes and tapped 3/16" threads and built up a spacer for the top bolt as can be seen. Then use a spring washer to avoid loosening of the bolts. The bottom spacer is one of those picture hanging plates as it was the thickness required for a bolt that was just too long. If mounting the same unit as I did, it would be better if you can obtain a metal tube for the spacer rather than building up a spacer with washers as I did.
Regards
Les

joez
7th December 2006, 10:04 AM
Just came across this on another forum:

http://www.digi-kit.com/digiplaner.htm

looks really good, might even be worth organising a group order if enough people are interested.

joez71

Waldo
7th December 2006, 10:37 AM
G'day Lesmeyer,

I was over at C/T on Monday and asked them about the Hafco setup on their machines and was told that C/T are looking into a similar thing to retro fit to their machines and as they roll out of assembly - but it will be about June 07 until something happens.

I'm yet to contact Hafco to see if their ruler has enough length to fit the 381.

Where did you get yours from?

Thanks Joez for the link, I should contact them to see if it might work or not.

underused
7th December 2006, 02:21 PM
This is the measure I use on my small benchtop. Got it from Woodcraft.
Once its set up and zeroed to the blades, its very accurate and consistant. Takes the guess work out of thicknessing I guess:)

lesmeyer
7th December 2006, 11:56 PM
G'day Lesmeyer,

Where did you get yours from?

Waldo,
I got mine from Carba-Tec. The other day I saw the digi-ruler thing for about $99 in CT. The display on top is rather expensive at $199.
Regards
Les

Waldo
8th December 2006, 09:51 AM
G'day lesmeyer,

Thanks for that. Asked about digital rulers at C/T, but the bloke forgot to tell me about what they had in stock, he was a bit frazled trying to serve an older bloke before me and answer a tonne of phone calls at the same time.