PDA

View Full Version : How big a Shed before council approval required in Perth?

Damon_11
28th November 2006, 02:16 AM
Howdy chaps,

The good wife says to me why don't you get yourself a biger shed - I just about fell off my chair. I know it will cost me an eternity ring or something, but hey it's going to be worth it.

At present I have a Zinc 3x3 (approx) garden shed bulging at the seams, not big enough to do anything on a small scale.

Two questions really.

How big or small a shed can I put up before needing council approval - I'm in City of Joondalup. And how long does that usually take?? I have found their site where they specify rates, procedures etc.

Have seen other posts for prefab kits, can you name some suppliers NoR in Perth that will provide a robust product and take care of all of the drawings etc for council? Any I should avoid?

My other thought was to buy the same shed again in the local rag for <$200 and do a modification by removing two end gables and bolting two together and appropriately supporting the roof - what's the forum's thoughts on that one.

Thanks

DC

Studley 2436
28th November 2006, 06:37 AM
I'm pretty sure that sizes and everything depends on the council

Studley

Driver
28th November 2006, 09:28 AM
Damon

Have a look at this:-

http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/cms/filedisplay.asp?file=354

It seems that you will need a Building Licence for any size of shed but you probably won't need planning permission for something relatively small. I recommend that you give the City of Joondalup people a call. Contrary to my expectations, I found them quite helpful a few years ago when I did some work at my place.

Incidentally, the main reason why they want you to apply for planning permission, if you hadn't already worked it out, is so they can increase your rates :rolleyes:

Col

JDub
28th November 2006, 10:59 AM
Here in the ACT you need development and building approval for anything above 10m2.
However I do here from reasonably reliable sources this may increase in the future.... ;)

I got design and siting approval for my 20m2 shed (from council) but not building approval (private certifier etc). I couldnt justify the $800 price tag for private cert and owner builders cert. for a small kit shed. but shhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone ok?

Nevyn
28th November 2006, 11:29 AM
Dont recommend putting two end to end without some bracing all over not just the roof. Pre formed sheads tend to flex alot, and have seen one or two cave in where joined.

My other half would know more as she is a drafty and details very very large sheds and buildings. Unfortunatly she is not around atm to ask, but Jooonalup from memory is a good Council to work with.

Cheers

Nigel

Terry1
28th November 2006, 04:21 PM
The biggest size possible without approval here in Wagga Wagga is 15sq mtrs.I'm a long way from you though.Sometimes it would be good to have uniform regulations about such things.Regards Terry.

Damon_11
29th November 2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks Chaps,

Looking at 5x3m - 15m2 so if that is any indication, I might be OK. Will check with CoJoondalup to see what they say.

My neighbour (who is very handy chap) said his BIL attached 2 sheds together with additional bracing quite successfully. This might do even if it is a $150 exercise rather than buy a whole new unit for $1500.

Still looking for good referrals for kit sheds for Perth NoR.

Thanks

DC

Sprog
29th November 2006, 05:40 PM
Still looking for good referrals for kit sheds for Perth NoR.
Thanks
DC

The Shed Mans kits are well made and reasonable prices.
I bought a workshop from them and so did my son. We are both happy with the service and product.

There is a display centre in Joondalup.

http://www.shedman.com.au/

ausdesign
30th November 2006, 07:55 AM
There's also a maximum site coverage that you're allowed to have.

Wild Dingo
16th December 2006, 01:59 AM
Damon did you contact the City of Joondalup yet? Having dealt not with CofJ but with Carnarvon shire council City of Mandurah and the Harvey Shire what I found best was to contact them first get a basic rundown of their info... then draw a sorta rough scale drawing of the block with house etc put in the distances from house fences etc and then in another color draw in the shed you anticipate building... then take that to the building dept and see what they think in all three cases I did this the building dept was helpfull with their advice... and youve not yet spent anything!

If memory serves my small shed 3x3mtr in Mandurah had to be 1mtr from any boundary and one mtre from any sewer access point... the 6x6mtr double garage was simply required to be 1mtr from any boundary and 1.5 from the house proper for approval ($100)while the one down here their requirement was 1mtr from any boundary ($70) and since Id planned on a seatainer behind it and 2 caravans on one side... it was built 6mtrs from one and 15mtrs from the other... no probs!

Because youve done your homework then sought their opinion in person and taken the trouble to show them what your thinking of BEFORE you actually do anything they tend to look more favorably on the final plans submission... hey its a little power thing remember shires are full of little tin powergods make them feel that they are all powerful and you know nothing and so are seeking their almighty all knowing knowledge and it feeds their power trip... shires bahhumbug! Bunch of jumped up mong... ah sod it! just get the biggest friggin shed you can find an whack the thing up scare the shyte outta them when they drive around checking the neighborhood and suddenly theres this friggin great warehouse in your backyard eh? :D

Purpleheart
1st January 2007, 11:03 PM
Just remember,.......

A "boundary", and a "fence" are not necessarily one and the same.:o

Its true.........:wink:

pawnhead
2nd January 2007, 09:26 PM
Have you got a shovel?
Put in a 20 sq/m basement and no one will know.

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it. :wacko: