PDA

View Full Version : The Hafco WL-38 variable speed on special! Any good?

Hardenfast
28th November 2006, 07:09 AM
Morning all.

I notice in the latest Australian Wood Review that Hare & Forbes have got their WL-38 variable speed lathe on special for $995.00 including the stand. I was wondering whether anyone here had used them or seen them running, or had any comment about the Hafco stuff generally.

The price seems quite good for a variable speed with digital screen rpm read-out, and it has a full cast iron swivel head and bedway, 2hp motor etc. I know that these are Asian imports, but so are most of them these days, including the Leady Lathe and (sigh..) Woodfast etc etc.

As usual I look to the learned assemblage for enlightenment and salvation.

Slow6
28th November 2006, 03:13 PM
it looks like yet another clone of the 3815... some have had some joy with them and some (like me) have lost time trying to get them to run as they should before returning them for a refund.

My problem (that I've also seen reported a dozen times since) was a bad vibration due to poor manufacture of the main spindle and pulley.

if I were to buy one of these lathes I'd insist on seeing the headstock run with no vibration... shouldn't be a drama to sit the headstock on the shops demo lathe and arc it up through the rpm range before you take it home.
not that I'm recomending the lathe ;)

$995 is pretty much what I paid a year ago with a quick haggle.

I dont think it matters what brand it is.. carbatec, hafco, sherwood, they all come out of the same factory.

if you're not in a rush and want to spend a grand, you'll pick up something very decent second hand... try ebay, trading post and if you go through melbourne I recomend a joint called "northern machinery" in Plenty rd preston. I picked up a ex school woodfast very reasonably there and last time I was there (a few months back now) he had a couple of nice lathes.

do a search on each major lathe brand you'd consider in these forums and read up.. you're pretty much guarenteed to hit the market knowing exactly what to look for.. what wears out, needs replacing, may have already been modified, availability of parts... etc.

good luck :)

Hardenfast
30th November 2006, 07:17 AM
Many thanks for the info Slow.

I think you're right about the one factory producing different brands. Seems to be the norm these days. Interesting about the ongoing vibration problems - obviously their engineering standards are not too high.

I'm starting to kick myself now that I didn't grab one of the Woodfast lathes at auction a couple of weeks ago. Oh well. Live and learn.

I've taken your advice and researched the major brands as far as I can, and I think I'll stick with my order for the Leady Lathe. I'll let you know how it goes.

Slow6
30th November 2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry Hdnfast, I'm down with the flu and a little brain addled... forgot who's who :)

no question! wait for the leady rather than buy the wl38 thing.

if nothing else I suspect the support you'll get with the leady will be far better.

in the meantime if I see a bargain I'll let you know.