PDA

View Full Version : Classic-Style Pine Toy Box

Dean
4th May 2003, 08:27 PM
Here some pics of my latest project.

A panel-style classic toy box for my 1 yr old fella.
It's his birthday present.

Made by all sorts of warped, mangled and twisted pine wood :)
I'm surprised I got it as square as I did!

Pretty much all cut on the Triton WC2000, bar a few small additional cuts done with the mitre saw (I wasn't working from a plan, all in my head, so had to re-cut a few pieces to fit.) Some pocket hole joinery, PVA glue and a few brads to hold the panels while the glue set :)

Hmm, now to decide how to finish the sucker. Would never dream of painting it, so perhaps a stain and a varnish might do the trick.

Enjoy.

Dean
4th May 2003, 08:27 PM
Pic 2

Wayne Davy
4th May 2003, 09:54 PM
Nice box Dean. I'm sure the young'n will love climbing into it and throwing out all the toys (thats what my two do) ;)

Dean
5th May 2003, 05:25 PM
hehe yep probably :)

Hmm been thinking of routing the inside edge of the side panels...
But handheld routing such large chunks aint my idea of fun... probably because I havent done much of it before...

Any recommendations or anything to either talk me into, or out of it? Would certainly make the box more decorative...

Sir Stinkalot
5th May 2003, 05:47 PM
I would go for it as it will make a huge difference. Just check to see that you have clearance for the bearing on the bit to the panels. I did a similar box with a lid out of Jarrah but for some reason put the side moldings on before I routed them and due to the clearance issue I had to remove them and then put them back on again.

Dean
6th May 2003, 07:12 PM
Stinkalot, did you have mitred corners though?

Sir Stinkalot
6th May 2003, 08:38 PM
Hi Dean,
My box was different in construction to yours. Firstly I made a frame and then clad it horizontally with the Jarrah and then put a jarrah molding around the outside (The purple). I then routed the purple to give a decorative lip to the jarrah (green).

If my assumptions are right you plan to rout (?) around the red ... if this is true my concern is the depth indicated by the two blue lines. I found that this depth wasn't enough and the router bit with a bearing guide took up too much room and didn't allow for any room for the cutting. I hope this makes some sense.

Otherwise I could be totally off track and you may be talking about routing somewhere else.

Sorry I had to deface your picture.

Stinky.

Dean
7th May 2003, 08:42 AM
You have it right.
That depth is 3/4"

I could possibly just roundover those edges with a bearing in place, but probably not much else.

I don't think I'll bother with this one.
I may make another like it for a blanket box soon and take my time on that one and rout my profiles before assembly.

Cheers