PDA

View Full Version : Spilt Hide Glue on Traditional Wax

watson
29th November 2006, 06:58 PM
Evening All,
Just spilt the Pearl Hide Glue pot all over a project finished with 2 coats of sanding sealer then Ubeaut Traditional Wax.
Most wiped off with no damage, but a couple of spots I can see a change to the finish.
Should I just apply more traditional wax and re-polish or is the solution to start again??

Awkward silly bugger!!
Regards,
Noel

ubeaut
30th November 2006, 07:39 AM
Awkward silly bugger.......... Too right you are! Try rewaxing, it that don't work guess you'll have to try again from scratch. Awkward silly bugger. http://www.ubeaut.biz/mhihi.gif

watson
30th November 2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks Neil,
Went out to have a look at the damage earlier this morning, and the glue I'd obviously rubbed in a bit just flaked off!!
A quick wipe with a polishing rag and the finish was back to normal.
Must remember that....and that the glue pot is HOT!!
Regards,
Noel

rsser
1st December 2006, 05:02 PM
What were you using to heat the glue pot just out of interest?

watson
1st December 2006, 05:31 PM
G'day Ern,
I was using a Sunbeam Frypan filled with water. The thermostat on the frypan has been set to keep the glue at roughly 82º C, and the water is a few degrees hotter.
The frypan cost $10 at a local second-hand store.
I also need a "workshop apprentice" to keep the water level constant (smirk),
but I will probably end up using a probe connected to a little circuit and a 24v solenoid to keep the water at a constant level.

Regards,
Noel

rsser
1st December 2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks Noel.

I have a drawer from a cedar chest to repair and the Ubeaut hide glue dissolved and waiting. We used to be able to get old 'lectric frypans from local opp shops but no longer :-(

My 'apprentices' have all left home though sometimes I can trade favours with one when his motorbike needs work ;-}

(Was gonna say I'd read that soaking old hide glue in meths was supposed to harden it so it can be chipped out; glad you got an easier result.)

watson
1st December 2006, 08:27 PM
Hey Ern,
I know where there are two or three frypans in our local area..roughly the same price. I reckon it would be about $8 postage tops to Melbourne.
Want me to grab you one???

No dramas either way.
Regards,
Noel

rsser
2nd December 2006, 06:59 AM
That would be very kind. Yes please!