PDA

View Full Version : Skew's plans!

Terry B
29th November 2006, 07:38 PM
<!--StartFragment --> Dear All. Skew put a design for a disk sanding platform up her esome months ago. To show it is not a wasted effort, here is the one I made.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th November 2006, 08:39 PM
May it serve you well! :D

thefixer
29th November 2006, 09:23 PM
Yep, me too. Had previously thought about doing but seeing Skew's plans motivated me to get around to it. Made mine for an 8" disc because as soon as I get a decent lathe this piece of junk will be a permanent sander:mad:

SawDustSniffer
29th November 2006, 09:34 PM
Hope you guys gave skew a " Reputation Point " for his work and effot in posting his plans
good Question how do you give some one a reputation point , coz i owe "the Fixer" one for his help on "Ashes ern " , posting the poem & size

cheers ken

found it ,in between the dot and the " ! " on the bottom of each post

BernieP
29th November 2006, 10:21 PM
G'Day Folks

I have made one also and fitted to my shortened GMC, thanks for the great plans. Between you and Gil you both keep me busy. Thanks

Cheers
Bernie

Gino
29th November 2006, 10:51 PM
Very good Terry.

How did you attach the sandpaper to the wooden disk.

if it is velcro where did you get a piece this size.

thanks

Gino

powderpost
29th November 2006, 11:08 PM
Gino, I recently built a sanding disc for the lathe along similar lines. Bunnings and Mitre 10 had 175mm self adhesive velcro discs. Also discovered the sanding discs with holes in them weren't too good. They tear at the holes.
Jim

bookend
30th November 2006, 02:31 AM
<!--StartFragment -->
Skew put a design for a disk sanding platform up her esome

Where is an "esome"? Did she hit him?

thefixer
30th November 2006, 08:35 AM
Very good Terry.

thanks

Gino

G'day Gino

I had a couple of ideas for sanding discs. I reckon if you go to a toy shop and buy one of those "gripper" thingies they have a velcro hook pad that is about 8 inches in daimeter , you know, the ones that you use to catch a fluffy tennis ball.
On my sander plate I used a sheet of aluminium for the face and use adhesive discs from a panel beaters/spray painters supplier. They are made to stick well but easily removed without leaving glue behind and much cheaper and better quality than anything from bunnings.

Cheers
Shorty

Terry B
30th November 2006, 10:16 AM
<!--StartFragment -->

Where is an "esome"? Did she hit him?
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-076.gif

Terry B
30th November 2006, 10:17 AM
Very good Terry.

thanks

Gino
I bought a "conversion kit" in a Mitre 10. It had a self adhesive disk of velcro for about $10.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th November 2006, 03:44 PM
I bought a "conversion kit" in a Mitre 10. It had a self adhesive disk of velcro for about $10.

Mitre-10 you say? I'll have to check them out.

I've been using a contact adhesive for laminating bench tops... easy enough to remove/replace disks but gets a bit expensive in glue. :rolleyes:

watson
30th November 2006, 04:25 PM
G'day Skew,
I have a similar disc on my lathe, and I've added your "table" idea..Thank you. It was a bit "iffy" using the tool rest.
The velcro stuff is OK but is sometimes is supplied with "double sided" backing which is not good.
So, I've gone back to normal paper applied with the same glue that they use in shearing sheds to apply paper to the "experting machine" which they use to sharpen their combs and cutters.Two types Nortons and another starting with "H" (Heiffer or something)
Available from Elders or CRT or any "farmy" type place - cheap as!
Comes off with a hair dryer or heat gun, and if the new paper is prepared with glue prior to removal of the old sheet, the residual heat is sufficient to apply the new sheet.
I have several discs pre-papered with different grades, and I've even got a "coarse" one that they use in shearing sheds.
I use it to seat axe or splitter handles..removes wood VERY fast.
Regards,
Noel

jchappo
30th November 2006, 08:02 PM
Yep! I made one too.

Only thing I can't work out is ... How did I do without it before !!!!:D:D:D

John