PDA

View Full Version : Oops Vase

joe greiner
30th November 2006, 01:25 AM
This was intended as a gift to a family of 3, friends of old, feeding me Thanksgiving dinner for years. Three rings seemed to be a nice symbolic feature - Father, Mother, Child. I tried to minimize the top diameter for better proportions. Luckily, I turn rings freehand, so only the top ring escaped. I didn't discover the oops until I drilled the hole for the insert.

Cherry, about 6.5in tall (170mm). Mostly with small skew chisel. Sanded 150, 220, 400; ScotchBrite, burnished with shavings; paste wax. Used paper towel for buffing - less dangerous than cloth.

Works OK as a 2-ringer, I guess, but I made a new 3-ring for the gift.

I have a copy of Nawm Abrams' book, "Measure Twice, Cut Once." Maybe I should keep it close to the lathe.

Joe

hughie
30th November 2006, 08:56 AM
I have a copy of Nawm Abrams' book, "Measure Twice, Cut Once." Maybe I should keep it close to the lathe.

Hi Joe,
I am totally familiar with the Oooops phenomom....:D Although not so familiar with captive rings.

Managed a reasonable resurrection with CA and brass powder after a moments in attention.......:mad:

TTIT
30th November 2006, 09:06 AM
$#it happens! Far better to have the proportions right by eye than worry about the technical aspect. Interesting idea though... :)

TTIT
30th November 2006, 09:10 AM
Managed a reasonable resurrection with CA and brass powder after a moments in attention.......:mad:Some serious optical illusion goin' on in that pic Hughie - took my dodgie eye-sight forever to work out what shape it was with the swirls in that camphor :o How are you likin' the brass?

hughie
30th November 2006, 12:13 PM
Some serious optical illusion goin' on in that pic Hughie - took my dodgie eye-sight forever to work out what shape it was with the swirls in that camphor :o How are you likin' the brass?
[/QUOTE]

:D Vern I trust the optics are not XXXX induced...............;) :D
its concave.

Brass is good, still working on the technique tho'

OGYT
30th November 2006, 02:29 PM
Awesome save, Hughie!

Joe; put the other ring on, and tell them the puzzle is to get 'em all off without damage to them or the vase. :o
Nice work. Don't know if Nawm's book will help ya.... ya didn't measure at all in the first place, now did ye? :o

joe greiner
30th November 2006, 03:40 PM
Nice save, hughie. But how'd you do the oops in the first place? Shouldn't crack like that, but doesn't look quite like a spiral catch, either.

Al, the sad part is that I did measure it. Just didn't allow enough overlap.:o

Joe

hughie
30th November 2006, 04:06 PM
But how'd you do the oops in the first place? Shouldn't crack like that, but doesn't look quite like a spiral catch, either.

Joe, nah! had the gouge in my hand looked away and turned, whack went the gouge, zing and a great chunk flew off.......mutter, mutter, fume, fume grrrrh :mad: :mad:

Had to to turn it back some to remove the missing divot :o :D

its coming along fairly well, might make it to the Christmas stocking yet.....design feature....;) :) :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th November 2006, 04:10 PM
I feel so much better now. :o:D:p

joe greiner
30th November 2006, 04:22 PM
Ah yes. I'm quite familiar with that technique. The way I used to do it was to leave the lathe running while I touch up the chisel on the grinder, then return directly to the wood where I left it (or where I thought I left it).

Joe