PDA

View Full Version : drilling lead

jonnyp1
30th November 2006, 05:38 AM
i need to drill some deep, over 1 foot, and wide upto 1" plus holes into solid lead. the lead is not moveable so i need to drill it in situ. can i do it with standard electric drill? and what type of bit would i use. any help most appreciated.

Harry72
30th November 2006, 09:13 AM
I make this stuff for a living!

You can try drilling but it will self feed and need massive amounts of torque.
What type of lead is it, hard or soft?(it can contain As, Sb, Cu or Zn to increase hardness)
I can think of 3 way's you could make a hole like that,
1. some sort of reaming tool.
2. Bash a 1" piece of bar stock through it.(ie: using a jackhammer)
3. Melt a hole, you only need 320degC to start melting pure lead. An oxy cuts it better than a hot knife in butter... wear a respirator and keep the tip away from the dripping lead or she'll go pop!(scare the bejeesus out of you)

soundman
1st December 2006, 12:16 AM
..........Why?:confused: ..... just curious:D

Schtoo
1st December 2006, 01:01 AM
Spade bit?

BobL
1st December 2006, 01:44 AM
Chapman in Workshop Techology inidcates that bits with many more twists that are used for steel are needed to drill lead. Presumably these allow the drill to cut as well as self feeding. Where you get these from I have no idea.

bsrlee
1st December 2006, 09:28 PM
Sounds almost like a wood auger bit for the higher rate of twist. Possibly in a brace type hand drill for torque. Or one of the old 'blacksmith's' portable hand drill presses.

I've tried drilling into tin/lead alloy, and you have to go fairly slow, otherwise the heat at the cutting edge will melt the lead and it then effectively solders the bit into the lump of metal being drilled - its a good way to break bits & its a PITA to get them out too.

joe greiner
1st December 2006, 11:50 PM
Depends on how you define "standard electric drill." The only powered instrument I can think of would have to be a very slow diesel-electric locomotive. If inside finish is not critical, lancing, e.g. Harry72's suggestion No. 3, is likely simplest.

Given the suggestions so far given, I think my next inclination would be to examine your underlying objectives, in search of a better solution. The only place I've heard of such a large lump of lead is in a sailboat keel. Are you trying to extend a keel? Our curiosity is getting hungry.

Joe

Harry72
2nd December 2006, 02:13 AM
Your correct about the loco Joe, although an impact driver probably could do the job.

Large lump nahhhhh tis only a little tacker... you should see a 400ton spill!

pirate
2nd December 2006, 10:21 PM
gday mate

I've drilled through nearly 2 feet of lead its hard work, that was for a boat. I'm guessing your doing the same. the best drill for the job is one with a gearded head ie no more than 200 rpm, the only company that made them that i know of was black and decker their old and made of cast aluminiun they come in three sizes all are bigger than anything made to day. I dont know where you will find one. and is only neede if your drilling over 1/2 inch

As for the bit, a normal twist bit that you drill metal is fine of course the size you require and a bit over 1/2 inch wont be cheap but if you can get a chinese one thats good enough. as for length if the bit isn't long enough weld or braze a peice of rode onto it. but it must be smaller than the bit or it will bind but be carefull keep it as strait as posible.

the hard bit is drilling it, you can only drill maybe 3/8 ths of an inch at a time or until the flute's of the bit are full then you have to pull it out clear the flute's and do it a gain. It wont take long to fill the flutes. its a slow process. If you dont clear the flute's the bit can jam, and you will find a new level of patiance. and some extra words

have fun mate.