PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood fence posts

JB
30th November 2006, 09:16 AM
I have a good stock of pink bloodwood (eucalyptus or corymbia, whatever) green timber after felling a few largish trees of about 450diam base. I want to use thinner sections from the tops and larger branches for in-the-round fence posts. Okay all you old bushies out there...if I use it green will the posts work loose when the sapwood rots away; do I do my best to de-sap it first with an axe; do I leave it to dry for a while after de-barking it? What did you blokes do when you were early pioneers?:)

SilentButDeadly
30th November 2006, 05:40 PM
I assume you are planning to simply drop them straight into the ground? If so then go for your life just as they are. Just pack them in hard with dirt or crusher dust. As the timber rots down you may simply have to wander around with the crow bar on occasion and tamp around the posts.

JB
30th November 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the reply SBD.

No need to de-bark even?

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 08:37 PM
We normally axe the sapwood of then ram the post straight into the ground at the farm

JB
30th November 2006, 11:12 PM
Any termite/rot treatment? And what length postys, out of curiosity? Around here they use 7', 3' under and 4' above ground.

Dango
7th December 2006, 09:49 AM
Your measurements sound about right JB - not that I'm a fencing expert but I've done a bit in my time. For treatment, I'd just suggest if you can de-bark and remove a bit of the sapwood - all the better (might discourage a few of those little termites). Try to make sure that when you drop the post in - 'the top stays on-top' (the bottom end of the post goes in the ground)... don't forget the ratio of beers to fence posts either (is it 1:1?)

JB
7th December 2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks Dango

greenwood
30th December 2006, 09:43 PM
hi everyone, just started turning ,and am enjoying this site ,i have some bluegum is this anygood for turning , and what type of things are best to turn with greenwood?:B

Ross
31st December 2006, 08:34 AM
After the posts are in the ground soak around them with old sump oil. Keeps the termites at bay as well as helping preserve the timber and is a way of disposing of your old oil.

Ross

Doughboy
31st December 2006, 09:26 AM
Just knock the bark off it and paint the end that goes in the ground with sump oil. Will last a bl00dy long time. We used to nail a peice of tin on the top to help stop water penetrate from the top.

Pete

RufflyRustic
31st December 2006, 10:36 AM
JB, that pink bloodwood is beautiful timber. I'm making a box with it right now. I hope you might keep a bit to use for yourself if possible. At least I know of another source :) If you end up missing a few fenceposts in a few years time, at least you'll know who to blame :roll: :U

cheers
Wendy

JB
31st December 2006, 07:49 PM
I have oodles of this pink bloodwood. So far I've cut down four trees about 450mm diameter (and cut them into seven foot logs) andf another four or five also have to come down. If anyone has a mill they are welcome to slab it, o n a 50/50 share basis, if that sounds right. Does it?

rsser
4th February 2007, 05:00 PM
hi everyone, just started turning ,and am enjoying this site ,i have some bluegum is this anygood for turning , and what type of things are best to turn with greenwood?:B

Welcome Greenwood.

Suggest you search the turning forum ... lot's of advice on timbers and green turning there.