PDA

View Full Version : fret sawblade

chanasaurus
2nd December 2006, 12:17 PM
is there anywhere i can get a circular saw blade thin enough to cut frets slots? i don't mind cutting them by hand but i really love building my own machines as well and thought it would be cool project

gratay
2nd December 2006, 12:56 PM
these guys are advertising a saw blade on their site ....they are in queensland and really good to deal with.

http://www.luthierssupplies.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=271

kiwigeo
2nd December 2006, 01:00 PM
Stewmac and LMI stock suitable blades plus spacers. Lee valley i think also have a suitable blade.

Me..I cut 'em by hand with a fret saw and a Stewmac slot cutting jig. A bit slower than doing it on a table saw with a jig but my output of instruments doesn't warrant doing the job using a machine.

Iain
2nd December 2006, 08:30 PM
Is the dremel an option with the saw blade, thin kerf and should be easy to make a jig.

joe greiner
2nd December 2006, 09:49 PM
Now, there's an interesting thought. Dremel makes a crosscut blade, part no. 546, 1.25in diameter; but it has a large hub hole, and needs a saw attachment, part no. 670. Another option would be to use fiber reinforced cutoff wheels, part no. 456: 1.5in diameter x 0.045in thick, and uses the regular mandrel. If no. 546 can reach beyond the tool body, no. 456 surely can. The tiny cutter, no. 199, is only 3/8in diameter and would have to be tilted. Alternatively, you could use a mini router bit with the router base accessory.

Joe

chanasaurus
6th December 2006, 04:25 PM
cool- thanks for the info