PDA

View Full Version : Estwing hammer

paulbear48
6th May 2003, 05:52 PM
Have just recently been given an Estwing hammer with a leather handle, but the handle appears to be beyond repair. Any suggestions on a replacement for the leather

DaveInOz
6th May 2003, 05:56 PM
I'd check out the bicycle stores for handlebar tape, vinal, cork, fluffy whatever suits your grip and wear requirements

Wayne Davy
7th May 2003, 11:43 PM
I have seen some guys use that sweat tape for tennis rackets

bill pentz
15th May 2003, 03:02 PM
Paulbear,

Seems as though a million years ago I ran over my father's Estwing with the lawn mower. Not a good scene, but was lucky as only wiped out the leather handle. He bought that hammer new when an apprentice carpenter, so just replacing it was not an option. Way too much sentimental value. I had an uncle in the shoe repair business and he said no problem. He gave me some 3/16" thick hard sole leather and said to have at it. With sharp Xaxto knife and a punch I roughed out new rings. He used Barge brand cement between each ring, squeezed the rings on, then slipped back on the steel end plate. A little hammering to bend over the tabs and it looked ugly as sin!

He then went to his belt sander and in a few seconds had that leather looking better than the original. I then buffed the head and stock to really shine, put a few coats of lacquer on and my father only believed it was his original after seeing his initials in the baseplate. A lot of work, but a hammer that will last many lifetimes if taken care of.

bill

paulbear48
15th May 2003, 05:29 PM
Hi bill thanks for the reply for the application of a new handle to the hammer. I have tried other alternatives but yours seems to fit the case. i might run with this suggestion ;) paul

STAR
14th April 2008, 09:27 PM
I bought an Estwing hammer over 15 years ago, and it cost me a fortune, I live on a two acre block that had a lot of long grass on it. I have not seen it for over 15 years , even though my block is like parkland now.

Funny how only the best go missing, never to be seen again.

27saxophone
15th April 2008, 08:46 AM
See if you can borrow Bill's lawnmower - that seems to be good for finding them!

MurrayD99
15th April 2008, 01:25 PM
I bought an Estwing hammer over 15 years ago, and it cost me a fortune, I live on a two acre block that had a lot of long grass on it. I have not seen it for over 15 years , even though my block is like parkland now.

Funny how only the best go missing, never to be seen again.

It is said that the Martians borrow them and take them away to make copies. They put them back eventually.

autogenous
15th April 2008, 02:50 PM
I purchased the blue handled range as a first year apprentice. A truck driver stole the whole lot in the driveway when dropping off some hardware.
Most of all I now purchase the cheapest stuff I can find because it does get stolen on job sites.

I only have the blue handle claws stay home now only for mates and home jobs.

The big Estwing Axe is locked in the car for cutting stone. They dont import the Tomahawks anymore.

Most tradies will wrap gaffa tape around the leather jobs once the rings work loose.

A lot of tradies choose the Blue handled hammers now for that reason. The leather handled ones fall to bits once they fray and water working in the rain softens it up.

If your keen to fix the handle you could fit some hyperlon then some leather racket binding.

If you want to go all the way find some remnants of leather, centre punch them then laminate them with bear contact glue.

Brickie
15th April 2008, 03:19 PM
If your keen to fix the handle

2003, Im sure its fixed already....:doh::D

autogenous
15th April 2008, 03:30 PM
What did you do in the end? :)

You have a picture?

How did it bump into new posts? Was there a server roll back?

bobbo
23rd January 2009, 06:18 PM
Paulbear, I'm probably far too late but 15 years ago the leather packed it in on my Estwing. I glued two pieces of new Guinea Rose wood to the steel shaft with epoxy. Before glueing I drilled two holes in the shaft and put a small locating holes through the timber. When set I shaped the timber to suit my hand and made sure it would never move by fitting two counter sunk brass bolts with the nuts recessed. It looks teriffic and has taken on a beautiful patina and has never moved despite lots of work.
The first Estwing I had ,I dropped from a ladder two floors up. A bloody Dalmation dog came from nowhere, picked up the hammer and took off up the road with it. I never saw it again. It must have been the lovely sweaty leather handle that attracted him. I bet he wore his teeth out trying to make a meal of it.. Good steel in Estwings!
Good luck, Bobbo.

Wongdai
23rd January 2009, 10:04 PM
This has got to be a world record thread resurrection. 5 years since the first post!?!?

Claw Hama
23rd January 2009, 10:15 PM
An oldie but a goodie, my first Estwing leather died (20ish years) so I bought another and then one day I found an old belt in the cupboard. An old broken hamer and an old broken belt, well the hammer is like new only better I cut and linished it to exactly the right shape for my hand. Now I hardly ever use the new one.

Socrates
24th January 2009, 12:17 PM
I bought an estwing years ago but I made a mistake and also bought a Plumb with a fibreglass handle. The Plumb is what I always reach for, what a beautiful hammer. And as a roofer pointed out to me, if you use the estwing, make sure the stem doesn't hit your other hand. It has a very narrow stem and will inflict a lot of pain.
The estwing does look good though.

estwinghammer
13th March 2009, 03:24 AM
That is true, the narrow steel could be a hazard! But I've been using my estwing (http://www.estwinghammer.com) for over 11 years now without such an incident (perhaps just lucky!). Managed to hit myself in all sorts of other places though! my head... thumbs... knees... bad stuff!
Have any of you guys seen the new website for estwing hammers (http://www.estwinghammer.com)?
www.estwinghammer.com (http://www.estwinghammer.com)