PDA

View Full Version : New Egg-Chuck

OGYT
3rd December 2006, 10:36 AM
After my Sassafrass egg chuck broke a leg, I decided to make a new one.
Sorry for the lack of piccies, but I get started turning and forget to grab the camera. :o
I bought a PVC dresser/compression coupling to fit 1/2" PVC pipe. Turned a shaft to the proper size from Bois d'Arc, and epoxied the coupling onto that. Its too long for just one, so I'll make two at the same time.

Pic One: The epoxy is set, so I'm beginning to turn away the plastic in the center. The plastic turns away in long strings, and they get into the way. Where I'm turning will be the part that mounts into the chuck jaws. When I get to bare wood, I'll stop, leaving the plastic shoulder to seat against the top of the jaws. :cool:

Pic Two: Got them separated, and ready to turn the inserts. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the center of each soon-to-be-chuck, for a plunger to knock the egg loose, if necessary.
Next, I turned 3/8" thick inserts with shoulders to fit the shoulders inside the screw-on caps. I used super glue to stick 'em in.
I had already measured eggs from the fridge, and they averaged 1 3/4" Dia X 2 1/2" Long, so I chucked up th' chucks and turned the inside to fit the large end of the egg, and stuck in a little layer of foam rubber for padding. :D
Then I screwed on the cap, and turned the inside of it, undercutting it, so it will fit snug onto the pointy end of the egg. Last thing was to stick a little bit of foam into that.
Pic Three: The plunger, the Chuck, and the Cap. I turned a depression inside the bottom center, to fit the plunger. Turns out the plunger is an unneeded part. The egg sticks to the cap, not the chuck.
Pic Four: Gotta try it out, so... turning an egg from a piece of Apricot.
Pic Five: Chuck with the finished egg. It works!:D
Like I say, I apologize for the lack of pics. (I'd rather turn than take pictures, anyway.)

GC
3rd December 2006, 11:50 PM
hmmm,

great work, can see myself turning eggs instead of pens now

GC

TTIT
4th December 2006, 12:30 AM
Good job Al. How do you find the rubber for centreing the egg??? I used antislip matting to start with but found it too difficult to fine tune the egg for centre. I ended up just lining the two contact surfaces with masking tape which stops any marring of the finish but allows a little slippage for centreing.

La truciolara
4th December 2006, 12:40 AM
That is certainly ingenious! Congratulation!
But why do you need such a chuck to turn an egg? You just need to put your wood in an ordinary chuck and turn the egg without the live centre, don’t you? At least taht is the way I teach how to turn them (which of course does not mean that is the only way to do it ;) :) )<O:p</O:p

TTIT
4th December 2006, 12:53 AM
That is certainly ingenious! Congratulation!
But why do you need such a chuck to turn an egg? You just need to put your wood in an ordinary chuck and turn the egg without the live centre, don’t you? At least taht is the way I teach how to turn them (which of course does not mean that is the only way to do it ;) :) )<o ="">:p</o>:pJust to remove the stub from parting the egg off and to sand and finish the end. Leaves it looking much better than hand finishing.

Hickory
4th December 2006, 02:57 AM
To repeat a phrase..."That is certainly ingenious!"

I most hardidly agree, I have made several gismos and jigs turning PVC on the lathe. The Chuck idea is quite amazing and could be adapted to make several inexpensive chucks for different projects. I am storing this in my minds filing cabinet for future consumption and copying.

Here's a greenie :D

OGYT
4th December 2006, 03:09 AM
Hey, GC, the kids love 'em. And I've sold quite a few to ladies who want more what-nots to set around in the house. :o)
TTIT - When I put the egg in there, I don't tighten it all the way, until I've spun the spindle by hand to make sure it's true. The I tighten it. It works. But I may try the masking tape, too. It may be faster. Thanks for the tip.
Claude - TTIT gave the answer to your question for me. I mount the wood for the original turning just as in photo # 4, but use the chuck for finishing the nose. How do you keep from marring the egg when it's in a regular chuck?
Thanks, Hickory, greenie appreciated. Let me know when you come up with other uses for this type gizmo. :o)

La truciolara
4th December 2006, 07:54 AM
Claude - TTIT gave the answer to your question for me. I mount the wood for the original turning just as in photo # 4, but use the chuck for finishing the nose. How do you keep from marring the egg when it's in a regular chuck?

I turn my eggs with an oval skew chisel. As you know such an instrument leaves you a finish comparable to grit 320 if not better.<O:p</O:p
The piece of wood is held by a conventional chuck, I turn the egg entirely, first of course on the right part then on the left till to to point whereby the egg is cut off living a piece of course in the chuck. It usually takes 3 to 4 minutes (my Master, Jean Fran&#231;ois Escoulen does it in 28 seconds)<O:p</O:p

TTIT
4th December 2006, 08:45 AM
I turn my eggs with an oval skew chisel. As you know such an instrument leaves you a finish comparable to grit 320 if not better.<o ="">:p</o>:p
The piece of wood is held by a conventional chuck, I turn the egg entirely, first of course on the right part then on the left till to to point whereby the egg is cut off living a piece of course in the chuck.Thats cool if you're good enough not to leave any toolmarks (which I'm not :o ) but it doesn't allow for finishing with a friction polish. I use my eggs as samples of my timbers (62 at last count) and finish EVERY one of them with 2 coats of Shellawax so comparisons are accurate. If I'm just slapping a couple out for the grandkids to play with I go much the way you prescribe but they're not as fussy as I am. ;):D

hughie
4th December 2006, 08:53 AM
Al,

Some good ole Texas know how :D nice one! I 'd say well priced at that too :D

dontcha just love the KISS princple :D :D

OGYT
4th December 2006, 02:21 PM
I appreciate all the comments. From each of you! Wish I could use a skew so that it didn't require sanding. Must require a truly steady hand.
Texas know how is just good enough to copy someone else's idea and make a few mods to it. :o
KISS is good!

GC
4th December 2006, 08:55 PM
Hey, GC, the kids love 'em. And I've sold quite a few to ladies who want more what-nots to set around in the house. )

My wife actually collects eggs of all types from all over the world.
They sit in a massive platter on the dinning table.
She has wooden, glass, stone, jade, crystal, hand painted birds egg.......

But as is often pointed out, I've never made her one :o

GC

OGYT
5th December 2006, 02:25 PM
Well, then, GC, surprise her this Christmas, throw a couple off in her Christmas Stocking. :o You know she'll like yours better than the rest. :o

BernieP
5th December 2006, 06:31 PM
G'Day Al

One to file away thanks for your input

Cheers
Bernie

ticklingmedusa
6th December 2006, 08:41 PM
Very clever Al. Hey...
I think I'm finally seeing a little dust on your ways! :D
tm

OGYT
7th December 2006, 12:09 PM
I posted that I had modified someone else's Egg Chuck.... couldn't remember whose, :confused: :confused: but found it this evening. :eek: :D :D
Thanks, TTIT! Didn't even catch on when I read your post about the masking tape.:( :rolleyes: :eek: Told you I was dense.;)
Thanks again, tho', cause it works like a charm!!.
The masking tape is much better than the foam rubber, too. Put on a few layers, and it pads the egg against marring, but still allows centering.
Good stuff, Vern.:D

OGYT
7th December 2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks, tm, but it's not my idea. I just made another post giving credit where credit is due. TTIT's Chuck. I just stuck it together different.
Speakin' of dust... I have 5 large (40 gal) plastic bags about 3/4ths full of shavin's. (A guy is supposed to come and get them for bedding his 4-H animals.) I've been coring and roughing bowls, and making eggs and screwdriver handles for three days. My soap vats are full! And another man I'm tryin' to get hooked on turning has turned three bowls on Old Griz. Things are hummin' in Texas.!

tashammer
7th December 2006, 09:35 PM
your soap vats? vas ist dis?

ticklingmedusa
8th December 2006, 08:48 PM
tashammer, tiny bubbles :cool: or soaking green wood in a liquid dish detergent solution is one method used to dry green wood and prevent movement and cracking as it seasons. You might try www.ronkent.com/ (http://www.ronkent.com/) for a discussion.
It has been discussed here and some like it and some dont ,it might turn up if you do a search.
tm

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2006, 09:36 PM
If you want to do a search, "LDD" should be one of the search phrases.

OGYT
9th December 2006, 04:15 PM
50% (clear, uncolored) Liquid Dish Soap and 50% Water. I don't use the stuff in the recommended way. I rough-turn bowls and submerge them in the soup. Some I leave for months... just depends on when I can get back to them. Never leave any for less than a week, and most of them for a full month (log 'em in and out on a notebook). When I take them out, I very seldom wrap 'em in brown paper to dry 'em anymore (as is recommended, some I do, most I don't)... I turn most of them to finish thickness, before they have a chance to warp and oval out. I think there's a lot less cracking with the way I do it. When you get them down to about 1/4" to 3/8" thickness, they have an easier time drying without all the pressure (JMO).
By the time I finish turning them, they're nearly dry, having had most of the water spun out of them. Then I sand them all the way, and set 'em aside to finish drying. They'll be ready for lacquer (non-utilitarian) or oil (utilitarian) within a few days.
Like I said... it's not the way the stuff is recommended to be used... just the way I do it... at this time... I may start doing it different next week... if by accident somethin' should work better! :o)