PDA

View Full Version : Mango Bowl WIP. Vicmarc Shark Jaws.

Cliff Rogers
3rd December 2006, 04:34 PM
This is a bit of Mango I got from Cyclone Steve about 6 years ago.
I picked it up a a council recycle heap before it was mulched.
Mounted it on a small face plate & rough turned so the the face plate was the foot.
I cut a dovetail in the centre of the bowl so I could remount it & cut a new foot once it was dry.

Today I mounted it on the inside dovetail & cut a new foot & finished the outside to 400grit & gave it a rub with EEE & Trad Wax.
Then I reversed it & gripped the new foot with the shark jaws.

The outside diameter is about 12.5", 320mm

That is as far as I got, more next weekend.

Wood Butcher
3rd December 2006, 04:43 PM
Love the grain in the last pic!

Look forward to the next instalment Cliff!:D

Caveman
3rd December 2006, 04:55 PM
Hey Cliff,
Nice looking bowl - never seen 'raw' (as in unoiled etc) mango wood before - amazingly pale - looks like it finishes real nice.
Looks like you got a good piece - super grain.

rsser
3rd December 2006, 06:06 PM
Gorgeous bowl Cliff. Love the figure.

lubbing5cherubs
3rd December 2006, 08:38 PM
Nice Cliff
bye TOni

Jackson
3rd December 2006, 09:09 PM
Cliff - very nice piece of timber. I always seem to have trouble keeping mango up here. It either gets attacked by borers, splits badly or rots/spalts. Is that just me or is there a secret?

Cheers

TTIT
3rd December 2006, 11:49 PM
Certainly much nicer figure in that piece than the cruddy bits I've been drowning for a week! I started cutting the recess on the inside of my rough turnings at one stage until I realised the bloody motor on the MC900 won't let you mount it that way :(:mad: Next lathe maybe! Looking good Cliff.

hughie
4th December 2006, 09:10 AM
Cliff,

Great looking bowl love the figuring, look forward to the finished pics.

Cliff Rogers
4th December 2006, 09:11 AM
Cliff - very nice piece of timber. I always seem to have trouble keeping mango up here. It either gets attacked by borers, splits badly or rots/spalts. Is that just me or is there a secret?

Cheers
As soon as possible, slice it up into blanks, rough turn it & put it in a tub of water.
If you have a lot, just slice it up into blanks, put it in a tub(s) of water.

I have also tried freezing rough turned bits & microwaving rough turned bits.
The tub of water works best for me.
Change the water when it darkens.
You can take it out when fresh water doesn't go dark.

hughie
4th December 2006, 09:12 AM
[I realised the bloody motor on the MC900 won't let you mount it that way

Vern,
:D been there and done that so my first major mod was to move the motor on top

OGYT
4th December 2006, 02:11 PM
Cliff, awesome timber. Grain's makin' me green. Like to see the finished piece.
I do some green blanks that way too, but I use the soap solution, instead of water.
When your blanks stop turnin' the water dark, does that mean the sap's gone, and been replaced with the water?

Cliff Rogers
4th December 2006, 03:52 PM
...When your blanks stop turnin' the water dark, does that mean the sap's gone, and been replaced with the water?
Dunno, I guess so.
I stumbled across it while attempting to find ways to stop it from going mouldy.
I figured that it was the sap that the mould was feeding on 'cos it can go mouldy in about a day if the weather is warm.
I was hoping to wash the sap out so it wouldn't stain the timber & I found that I could get good big turning blanks without cracks.
The piece I am working on had been rough turned to about 1" 25mm with a base about 1.5" 40mm thick at the foot.
It was then washed thoroughly over a couple of days & then I microwaved it on medium for about a minute at a time allowing it to cool & then weighing it & microwaving again, cooling & weighing until it stopped loosing weight.
I don't always have time for the microwave bit.
If you over do it, you get surface cracks.
If you don't do it, it can still go mouldy if it is stored in a warm humid place.
I then stored it for about 6 years until a friend picked it out of a pile of roughed out work to be made into a Christmas pressy..
It does have a bit of a mould stain in it 'cos I got a whole trailer load of mango at once & this piece had to wait about a week in blank form before it was roughed out.
I have tried roughing out some pieces & chucking them in the freezer or the fridge but they still go mouldy.
The ones from the freezer go mouldy as soon as you remove them & the fridge ones just go mouldy in the fridge.

tashammer
5th December 2006, 02:03 AM
i wonder if soaking them in a weak bleach solution would persuade the mold spores to go look elsewhere for a home? Or maybe that sodium hyperchlorite solution that photographers (old style) and wine makers use to sterilize things?

Cliff Rogers
5th December 2006, 11:14 AM
Nah, wouldn't bother, the reason bleach is what it is is 'cos it is highly reactive. (how many times can you use 'is' in the one sentence?)
It is very unstable so it would break down to some sort of salt in no time at all.
It is good for killing what is there already but it is not good as a preventative.
Besides that, you risk damaging the timber.

Slow6
5th December 2006, 06:23 PM
stunning piece cliff.

BernieP
5th December 2006, 06:26 PM
G'Day Cliff

Nice bowl nice wood look forward to seeing finished bowl
Cheers
Bernie

Cliff Rogers
10th December 2006, 06:24 PM
OK, it's finished. (I still hate the stain from the mould. :rolleyes: )

Pic 1. Inside finished today. Sitting on the lathe next to the shark jaws about to go into the big bowl jaws.

Pic 2. Mounted on the big bowl jaws to clean up the spigot on the foot.

Pic 3. Spigot removed & foot finished.

Pic 4. Finished view 1.

Pic 5. Finished view 2.

Did I mention how I hate the mould stain that mango can get in it? :cool:
It isn't attractive like black heart sassy. (the mould stain that is)

Clear Mango can be as pretty as quilted maple.

Wood Butcher
10th December 2006, 06:43 PM
Have to agree with you about the stain Cliff. The grain is spectacular but the mould detracts from the overall appeal:(

But otherwise great job! http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2006, 06:43 PM
It has come out well Cliff. It's a nice piece of mango

Gra
10th December 2006, 06:55 PM
Cliff,

What happened, a serious post.. you feeling well:D:D

Looks great, as for the mould stain, the recipient wont notice it, they will just think it is figure in the wood.

Keep em comming

BernieP
10th December 2006, 09:51 PM
G'Day Cliff,

Glad to see the finished pictures and good to see it lived up to expectations. Nice one!

Cheers
Bernie

TTIT
11th December 2006, 12:13 AM
Came up good Cliff :) At least you only got some tiny bits of mould. 3 of the 4 I've got drying at the moment are like 95% mould - yuck!

Cliff Rogers
11th December 2006, 10:22 AM
...What happened, a serious post.. you feeling well:D:D...
All my posts are serious... some of them are so serious that they get deleted. :p

Gil Jones
11th December 2006, 04:26 PM
Cliff, your Mango bowl is stunning.
I like the curves and finish.
The wood is gorgeous..

hughie
12th December 2006, 12:49 AM
Did I mention how I hate the mould stain that mango can get in it? :cool:
It isn't attractive like black heart sassy. (the mould stain that is)

Clear Mango can be as pretty as quilted maple.
[/QUOTE]

Cliff I've had some thing similar with Camphor Laurel. Its a pain in the proverbial. In the CL its looks like a grease smudge or just generally dirty :mad: ggrrrrh

OGYT
12th December 2006, 12:38 PM
Cliff, I think it's beautiful. The mold doesn't distract that much from it. Ya did good.

Don Nethercott
12th December 2006, 08:15 PM
Funny how different people see the same thing different ways.

Around here (Clarence River) the more stain the more highly prized the piece of mango.

Have attached 2 pics of a bowl top and bottom showing the stain.

Seems the mould is actually a fungus occurring naturally in the mango (spalting??). However must wear a mask when turning.

When I got this timber it was dripping wet. Cut it into blanks and waxed the rims. Weighed a couple of blanks and kept a record - lost almost half its weight in 3 months.

Don't look at the bowl design, I need to return it as it is too thick around the sides towards the bottom.

However do love the pattern you've got in your bowl Cliff. Compared to the mango around here I had trouble accepting it as mango at first.

Don

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2006, 09:59 AM
Arh yes but... I don't mind the stains that follow the grain like that & black heart sassy.
I don't like the ones that look lie somebody spilt something on the piece like mine does. :(

The trick to getting the really pretty timber is to grab the bits from around the crotches in the tree. ;)