PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Table saw

sailor
7th May 2003, 09:20 AM
Well i finally got my new table saw. Yes it is taiwanese too!!
I finally settled on the MBS-300 over the Unisaw ( hope Ken is not watching).
The deal i got was amazing
MbS 300 saw
Overhead Suva gaurd with riving knife
Sliding table attachment
Delta Blade
Dado extension arbor
And thrown in!! A Excalibur Fence system as well as the beis clone that came with the saw ( is this well engineered !)
Also ,a scribing attachment for veneers!

All up $2600 , and as the delta was still not in i had no choice

I have put the saw together, table dead flat, extension wings dead flat, and blade to mitre slot .0015" out of the box, Arbor runout less than .001", even the fence supplied was dead on square, I will let you know more when i start this beast up.

Steve

ndru
7th May 2003, 10:19 AM
Congrats, Sailor - sounds like an excellent deal!:cool: A true contractors saw WITH an overhead guard AND a scribing blade attachment all for that price sounds pretty amazing.

I'm about 6-12 months away from going down the route of purchasing a table saw myself. The MBS caught my eye in the Carbatec catalogue, especially the sliding table as I plan to do a fair bit of panel work for a kitchen replacement in a couple of years (this is the only way I could justify it all to SWMBO!).

I watched you comments with interest as I found the Delta and Jet prices a little hard to justify for my purposes as an emerging weekend warrior. Soundman's comments also swayed me towards the MBS.

I look forward to any future posts you may make about your experiences with your new toy!

Have fun!

Dean
7th May 2003, 02:23 PM
ok ok where does one score a similar deal? :)

Wayne Davy
7th May 2003, 02:36 PM
ndru,

The MBS is NOT a contractors saw - Its a big, beautiful hunk of Cabinet Saw and 12" to boot.

Sailor,

I am very, very envious. That is an incredible deal you got and I would not think the Delta would be a match to the MBS in capacity/options let alone price. One day I'll replace my chinese Contractor Saw with a real one like yours. Have fun and make sure the Guard is always down!

Wayne Davy
7th May 2003, 02:39 PM
Dean,

If he got the deal with Vic Carbatec and you go to Brissy Carbatec and buy the MBS of the floor - don't be concerned about the little spots of rust on the table. They are just from me drooling over it everytime I go in :D

If you are serious, remember Carbatec's Bris Sale is on in two weeks and the Wood Show is three weeks away. That's 'Lets Do A Deal' time in Coorparoo!

Cheers,

Dean
7th May 2003, 03:04 PM
Nah not serious... yet... got no dosh and SWMBO wants to buy a house so I probably wont have any dosh for years now :(

ndru
7th May 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Wayne Davy
ndru,

The MBS is NOT a contractors saw - Its a big, beautiful hunk of Cabinet Saw and 12" to boot.

Yeah, yeah - I meant to say "Cabinet" - freudean slip given that price is legendary, even for a contractors saw with all the add ons!

I'm really curious how Sailor swung this fantastic price given all the add-ons. How many organs were donated???

kenmil
7th May 2003, 06:13 PM
How weak is that !!
The little boy could not wait for his new saw so he settled for something else with a couple of bells & whistles.:( At least it is Taiwanese. ;)

Seriously Steve, that sounds like a good deal and congratulations.
Happy cutting.:D

sailor
7th May 2003, 07:12 PM
Now all i have to do is run a new sub circuit to the workshop.
Lucky im a electrician!

Steve

Wayne Davy
7th May 2003, 11:01 PM
Mate, could you duck over to my place and put in a new 20 amp circuit and about 10 power points while you have the screwdriver out??? Thanks in advance :D

fxst
7th May 2003, 11:08 PM
while ur at it old mate I could use a bit of a screwdriver here too and a 3phase sub board while ur waitin for some project to start on

soundman
7th May 2003, 11:46 PM
It's a big heavy hunk of happiness isnt it.

seen the size of the motor!!

Wait till you fire it up.

Very nice machine for the price.

enjoy

Wayne Davy
7th May 2003, 11:47 PM
fxst,

Maybe would could chip in for the gas money. Nice scenic round trip Melbourne, Brisbane, S.A. with probably a few stops along the way if the word gets out ;)

Sailor,
What beer and steak do you like, I'll duck out now and pick some up before you get here :D

sailor
8th May 2003, 08:17 AM
Wayne and Fxst,

Whats the weather like this time of year? Wayne was that ALL the beer i can drink?
Travelling electrician! now theres a thought.

By the way the saw was brand new and the extras were thrown in as i beleive they purchased them at auction when (woodman ?) went out of business. These bits basically owe them nothing. If you are in Melbourne and buying a large purchase ask them! - now theres something that will definately cost nothing.

Steve

Wayne Davy
8th May 2003, 09:06 AM
Yep, all the beer you can drink during the couple of hours it would take to do the job (would be a damn site cheaper than what I have been quoted) :D

As for the weather in Brissy, its getting cold for us Queenslanders. Down to a brisk 22 degrees in the morning and only getting to about 26 degrees during the day. Have to wear a jacket all the time now ;)

Good luck with the saw! Post a thread with a review of it.

damocles
22nd June 2004, 11:00 AM
A definite bargain! Finally got my MBS a few weeks ago, first week in June to be more accurate. The machine is awsome, the table dead flat, runout was measured at 0.05mm at saw blade and mitre slot, the first thing that hit me was the quietness of the machine, the second was the atrocious build quality of the Beysmyer clone fence, took at least two hours of filing to get one side perpendicular to the table surface, the original riving knife had to be removed so as to fit the blade guard as supplied with the unit. All in all however, a machine worth the hernia produced whilst lifting same in the shop and definitely worth the expenditure.
Have been looking at the Excalibur fence system, Carbatec seem to have one in stock, will post results at a later date.

soundman
22nd June 2004, 09:30 PM
Congrats, now you know what a real saw is like.
I chose to keep the riving knife & go for the overhead guide.

curious, I had no problem with the fence at all. It was as straight & square as the rest of the machine. no problems.

might be worth mentioning to carbatec.

Are you going to bother bolting it down or will you use the gravity straps provided.

cheers

sailor
23rd June 2004, 10:41 AM
congrats, You will be happy with it.

My fence was ok too, perhaps you should have taken it back for replacement.

If you are interested i have a brand new excalliber fence for sale.

Steve

damocles
4th July 2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the notes, the riving knife was out of alignment by about 2mm, it would have been too much filing or bending or whatever to get it right so opted out to remove it and its mounting from the arbour assy.
The blade guard as supplied had to have its mounting bracket holes filed out slightly so as to get it to line up also, not much of a job and now it works fine, after the Triton it is like having died and gone to haven.
The unit is not bolted down, if that is what you mean, I will invest in some 12mm bolts and use the threaded mounting holes to level the whole unit, (concrete floor is a bit uneven the drought has caused the ground to move and almost given me a terrazzo paving in the 'shop, did tell Carbatec about the problem with the fence system, perhaps they have a new manufacturer suppliyng the current fence system.

Sorry for waffling on cheers for now and thanks again