PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift ideas/ inspiration

robatman
4th December 2006, 04:18 PM
Hi all,
I'm still pretty new to turning but getting the hang of it slowly, and would like some ideas and inspiration for making presents.

What are you making for people this christmas?

I'll probably make a few egg cups and 2 bowls, pretty standard stuff.

Robert

joe greiner
4th December 2006, 08:43 PM
Small vases. Pretty quick to turn between centers/centres. Clean up the ends with a Dremel. For dry weeds, grass, etc., just drill a hole in the top. For water-filled, use a test tube insert - plastic better because you can cut short vs. very deep hole. I got some LDPE surplus paint ball tubes from American Science & Surplus. Might be able to collect empties from kids or game venues.

Example at
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=41441

Joe

SawDustSniffer
4th December 2006, 09:41 PM
if all go's wrong , a tooth pick and a bag of sawdust
it's the thought that counts

Slow6
4th December 2006, 09:57 PM
good thread.

A cheapish set of carving chisels with swanky turned redgum handles, brass ferrules and a mallet for the brother in law, thinking about a box for them.. buuuut I dunno.

walnut bowl for the sister in law.

I'm thinking a largish sphear of something with figure for my mother.. she's like me and prefers a nice bit of wood with no particular purpose.

thats it for now.

thefixer
4th December 2006, 10:14 PM
Making a set of 4 matching goblets on a carousel for mother dearest. First 3 goblets are turned and awaiting finishing (pic1) :) but not having too much luck with the 4th one (pic 2):( Oh well, there's still 21 days left til Xmas so plenty of time yet. Only problem now is I've only got enough matching timber for one more crack at it. Maybe I should ditch the GMC lathe and see if I can borrow one that rotates in a circular motion instead of ovular. Good for making eggs though:p .
Cheers
Thefixer

hughie
5th December 2006, 12:19 AM
Robert,
I 've been busy and have knocked a few items. A Victorian style Lolly jar,Fruit bowl thingy, a couple of pots with lids or boxes depending on you translation...:D A couple of hollow vessels and I've got a couple of bowls to finish off and I am done for this Christmas.... I think...hope :D