PDA

View Full Version : More care needed- warning-it is gory

Terry B
4th December 2006, 11:03 PM
Dear All
I just spent an hour in the operating theatre with a young woody that lost a fight with a drill bit. It was about a 25mm forstner bit that slipped when making cupboards. He has smashed the bones at the base of his middle finger on his dominant hand.
Please be warned that these machines are very dangerous and don't give a second chance.
The image quality isn't great as I took it with my palm pilot under operating theatre lights but the message is there.:(

martrix
4th December 2006, 11:14 PM
oh my giddy aunthttp://www.ubeaut.biz/scared2.gif!

Is that a forstner bit from a machine? Like a Blum Drill press that sinks holes for hinges in cabinet doors?

What is the arrow indicating at the right of screen?

Caveman
4th December 2006, 11:31 PM
Farquinell that's nasty.
Hope the young guy makes a full & speedy rocovery.

BobL
5th December 2006, 12:02 AM
Very nasty! It made my legs go all wobbly and my botty started winking!!!!

dazzler
5th December 2006, 12:06 AM
I love the arrow.....this one doc :D

Slow6
5th December 2006, 12:57 AM
Poor blighter :( thats gonna smart for a month!

more info please. what do you mean slipped? what machine did he have the forstner in?

keith53
5th December 2006, 08:33 AM
Horrible injury. I just hope he makes a full recovery and retains the use of the hand.

RufflyRustic
5th December 2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/drop.gif

Ouch! cubed, squared, doubled and etc etc etc

Have to confess I\, too, wouldn't mind a few more details of how it happened

I hope he heals quickly and cleanly.

Wendy

Terry B
5th December 2006, 01:33 PM
More info as I know it.
It is a drill bit in from an air driver. I don't know the type. He didn't have the rest of the machine connected to him when he arrived. I didn't ask him last night how he slipped and he has gone to St Elsewheres hospital this morning for review.
The arrow on his arm is just protocol. All operation sites have to be marked unless we remove the incorrcect thing. The fact he didn't have a foreign body in his other hand is irrelevant so as good Dr's we mark the site:( .
Nasty but hopefully he will do well.

silentC
5th December 2006, 02:42 PM
All operation sites have to be marked unless we remove the incorrcect thing.
I hope for the sake of the good residents of Armidale that you meant incase ;)

Vernonv
5th December 2006, 03:32 PM
Either way, this Armidilian will make sure he is careful ... I don't wish to find out which meaning is more correct.:eek:

Terry B
5th December 2006, 04:41 PM
Picky, picky:D . Maybe I should read my posts to reduce the typos.
The protocol can be a bit silly however. When we are doing a caesarian under spinal (with the patient awake and able to talk to us), an arrow still has to be drawn on their tummy to make sure we take the correct baby out. Bureaucracy gone silly.

echnidna
5th December 2006, 04:49 PM
Terry is there any particular type of tool etc that causes many injuries?

silentC
5th December 2006, 04:55 PM
Bureaucracy gone silly
Still, I'm glad they err on the side of caution. It would be a bit annoying to go in to have a gangrenous foot amputated and have them take the wrong one ;)

Gra
5th December 2006, 06:28 PM
When we are doing a caesarian under spinal (with the patient awake and able to talk to us), an arrow still has to be drawn on their tummy
Ever been tempted to write exit here above the arrow???:D:D

Still, I'm glad they err on the side of caution. It would be a bit annoying to go in to have a gangrenous foot amputated and have them take the wrong one ;)

Has happened before..

Clinton1
5th December 2006, 09:23 PM
When we are doing a caesarian under spinal ... an arrow still has to be drawn on their tummy to make sure we take the correct baby out.

:D :D :D

Hope a full recovery is made by the drill operator.

silentC
6th December 2006, 08:38 AM
Has happened before..
Hence the arrows ;)

dazzler
6th December 2006, 10:00 AM

Actually I had a nurse draw the arrow on the teste they took out yesterday........really wanted to keep the goodone:p

Terry B
6th December 2006, 10:41 AM
Terry is there any particular type of tool etc that causes many injuries?
I am probably not the best person to answer this as I am not a surgeon. (I am a GP but also do anaesthetics- hense the reason I was involved)
In the last 3 weeks I have given anaesthetics for 2 sharp object injuries. This one and a big gash to a leg from a chainsaw. It was in a professional wood cutter who was sawing branches off a felled cypres pine log. The log toppled and knocked the saw from his hand resulting in a very big cut deep into muscle just above his left knee.
I think the moral is power tools with sharp edges are all potentially very dangerous and we have to be very careful.

AlexS
6th December 2006, 12:50 PM

Be a real bugger if the gangrenous one then came good.:rolleyes:

Timely post, Terry. My class (which includes 2 doctors) were introduced to Forstner bits last night, and I think they take seriously my injunctionto always have either the job or the drill clamped, and preferably use a drill press.

adrian
6th December 2006, 01:20 PM
An air drill and a forstner. Now there's a combination to conjure with. I know less about air drills than I do about forstners but I would have said it was a case of 'ne'er the twain shall meet.'

meerkat
6th December 2006, 04:28 PM
Oh my !!!:eek:

My jigsaw incident pales into insignificance.

Felder
6th December 2006, 04:52 PM
I am a GP but also do anaesthetics Anaesthetics is pretty easy, isn't it? You know, like you don't need a medical degree or anything, eh?

Very simply, you insert the needle with the funny stuff in it and slowly squirt it in the patient until they fall asleep? And then if their vital signs start to deteriorate, you just pull a little bit back out again? :confused:

Sounds easy to me. Might pop in at the local hospital on the way home to see if they need a casual anaesthesiologist (hardest part of the whole thing is spelling it. :cool: )

:p

bennylaird
6th December 2006, 08:27 PM
Anaesthetics is pretty easy, isn't it? You know, like you don't need a medical degree or anything, eh?

Very simply, you insert the needle with the funny stuff in it and slowly squirt it in the patient until they fall asleep? And then if their vital signs start to deteriorate, you just pull a little bit back out again? :confused:

Sounds easy to me. Might pop in at the local hospital on the way home to see if they need a casual anaesthesiologist (hardest part of the whole thing is spelling it. :cool: )

:p

Interested to see if this post lasts as long as mine did? Have a feeling that jovility is not appeciated in this thread:confused: :D :D

Groggy
6th December 2006, 08:41 PM
Interested to see if this post lasts as long as mine did? Have a feeling that jovility is not appeciated in this thread:confused: :D :DBenny, I assume you are referring to the thread with the old lady in a crashed scooter.

If you are unsure why your posts were deleted then you need to ask the moderator who deleted it ().

If you can't see the difference between yours and Felder's comments then you really need to ask the moderator. ;)

Stuart
6th December 2006, 08:57 PM
Back on topic, thanks for the warning about forstner bits - I find they are a very useful tool, and not ever having had a 'close encounter' didn't realise how hard they can bite.

I'll have a bit more respect for them in future.

bennylaird
6th December 2006, 09:55 PM
Benny, I assume you are referring to the thread with the old lady in a crashed scooter.

If you are unsure why your posts were deleted then you need to ask the moderator who deleted it ().

If you can't see the difference between yours and Felder's comments then you really need to ask the moderator. ;)

Nah thats not a worry, could see how that may offend some, was just a pic that went around work. Just thought a caption contest on it could bring out some humour. She appeared more embarrashed than hurt .

With this one I just offered advice on how to get a nicer cut with a forstner bit obviously on wood but not appreciated in context, again fair enough if my making light of a bad situation wasn't seen to be lightheated. Same as Brendans light hearted comment. Safety is the issue again so fair nuff.

Groggy
6th December 2006, 10:18 PM
Benny, my apologies. Normally as a super moderator I can see all the deleted posts, however, the post you made in this thread was deleted and purged as a result of some background cleanup work underway by . When they are purged I cannot see them and therefore made an assumption. This was incorrect and therefore unfair to you.

Again, my apologies, my mistake.

bennylaird
6th December 2006, 10:21 PM
No probs Groggy, I do need some control on my humour cos sometimes I see funny stuff without really appreciating who may be offended. Keep up the good work Mods.

Gra
7th December 2006, 05:47 PM
With this one I just offered advice on how to get a nicer cut with a forstner bit obviously on wood

its alright benny I saw it and laughed...

AlexS
7th December 2006, 08:19 PM
Back on topic, thanks for the warning about forstner bits - I find they are a very useful tool, and not ever having had a 'close encounter' didn't realise how hard they can bite.

I'll have a bit more respect for them in future.

Forstner bits are great for drilling large holes neatly. As long as they are straight in the hole, they are fine, but if they get slightly off line, they can grab, with exciting results. If the hole is not very deep, they can jump out and go waltzing across the job (which is what I'm assuming happened with Terry's victim). If you're using a drill press, the job can act like a helicopter rotor, and if you're using a hand held drill, it can do a quick flick and sprain your wrist, as well as spinning the job if it's not clamped.

Good practice to always clamp the job down, and smear a bit of candle wax on the outside of the bit.

Iain
8th December 2006, 09:22 AM
I have been thumped in the ribs a couple of times by the 'helicopter rotor'.
Hurts too despite the low rpm.

TassieKiwi
8th December 2006, 10:33 AM
Bureaucracy gone silly.

Ah, but do they have the machine that goes 'Ping!'?

Terry B
8th December 2006, 10:19 PM
Ah, but do they have the machine that goes 'Ping!'?
We certainly do and it cost three quarters of a million pounds:)

noodle_snacks
10th December 2006, 02:50 AM
I've also had an accident with forstner drill bits before, i was drilling out large 54mm holes in pieces of 12mm mdf for use as braces inside a loudspeaker box, had to drill approx 50 holes of that size, then filled in the gaps with a smaller 32mm bit. anyway, i was holding on to one of the smaller pieces and the drill bit digged in and started the piece spilling quite quickly in the drill press, the mdf (not the bit) put a 1-2cm gash in my thumb (could see the bone), healed up fine though. Doing it again i would have dropped hte drill speed right down and figured out some sort of fixture that allowed me to drill all the holes, at a still decent pace.

soundman
15th January 2007, 01:07 PM
Now that one is especialy gruesome:no:

There is just somethig about a foreign body left poking out.:o

Perhaps we shoud have a special " gruseome gallery" that can be there as a reminder and teaching tool.

It amazes me how we can think we are strong enough and quick enough to controll various power tools without proper methods.

cheers

AlexS
15th January 2007, 01:49 PM
Just back from my plywood supplier & the guy there had a forstner accident in a similar place to the one to the one Terry showed, but on the back of the hand.
Drilled the hole using a drill press, then as he pulled the job out, the spinning bit caught his hand and wound up bits of tendon etc. Ouch!

Waldo
15th January 2007, 01:54 PM
He has smashed the bones at the base of his middle finger on his dominant hand.

:censored2: :stretcher:

masoth
15th January 2007, 03:37 PM
Perhaps we shoud have a special " gruseome gallery" that can be there as a reminder and teaching tool.

It amazes me how we can think we are strong enough and quick enough to controll various power tools without proper methods.

cheers

I agree. This post alone has warned me of a foolish habit I have.:-
It'd be something like the anti-smoking ads, eh?

soth

Schtoo
25th January 2007, 01:33 AM
I have a real simple theory with power tools.

Read the label where it mentions the power output.

And keep in mind that an average human can only produce about 200 watts (1/4 hp).

In a fight with a drill press, you are still down a few watts or so, and logically you will lose.

We won't go into how much the 5hp table saw out punches you... :o

(Maybe not 100% accurate, but it does keep you in perspective of the larger scheme of things.)