PDA

View Full Version : Pimples in the Nose

thumbsucker
5th December 2006, 05:09 PM
I have a very reactive immune system, and most chemical, spicy food, pollution etc. gives me excema. Luckily I have not developed any sensitivity to the resins in any of the woods I work with.

I am a darksider and so I do not get exposed to huge array of dust however since tacking up woodworking, I have been developing small pimples in the inside of my nose. Usually one or two at a time and while it is only mildly uncomfortable I am concerned about long term problems. Nasal Cancer being one of them.

I have taken to washing out my nose with warm water at the end of the day, and lots of dark brown resin type stuff flows out.

Has anyone had similar problems or heard of this kind of thing?

I am thinking of investing in a good respirators, however, my experience with them (Always borrowed respirators) is that they are hard to breath in (is this possible due to filter blockage?), and get very hot and uncomfortable. Taking allot of the joy out of my hobby.

Tex B
5th December 2006, 05:16 PM
Go see your doctor. People sometimes get bacterial infections in the nose from irritations, which appear like pimples or cold sores. So, for example, kids often get them when they pick their nose a lot. Adults may get them if they have an abrasion of some kind, or if they pick their nose a lot. Some antibiotics will clear it up, and then as long as there are no more abrasions (stop picking your nose) it will stay clear.

Or it could be something else.

Tex

bsrlee
5th December 2006, 08:23 PM
After the doctor, I'd suggest the Triton helmet/respirator, powered by rechargeable battery, uses standard dust mask filters. Also includes a hard hat, face shield, ear muffs as well as the powered air filter.

If you can find a Hills Industries outlet shop (aka Dint-and-scratch) you may find they still have stock of these helmet/respirators left from when they owned Triton, and they are marking the old stock down quite a bit.

Eastie
6th December 2006, 01:12 AM
I tend to agree that your doc should have a look. Quite a lot of people suffer imune reactions to wood dusts, and it can be difficult to pick just what the immune system is reacting to given the dozens of chemicals and simple celled organisms in and on timber. One of the blokes on the board with about 1022 posts recently finished a masters on toxicity of cca treated pine, and from my memory of it at this late hour history shows that while most people have no reaction to the minute levels of these treatment chemicals (typically 100 to 1000 times below current safe exposure levels), some people have significant immune reactions. As is the old saying, it's not the substance but the dose that kills.

If your doc is good enogh to pin point the problem that is the best - if they can't pin point it a good helmet type supplied are respirator would be worth a try, along with minimising dust as much as possible such as air filtration, dust extraction, down draft tables, trying scrapers and planes instead of sanding, etc.

Best wishes in working it out and keeping your health,
Eastie

bennylaird
6th December 2006, 07:52 AM
Hmmm like the "how do I do my own electrical wiring thread" for all means ask but get the doctor involved. Now lets see how many years to become qualified? Longer than a 4 year apprenticeship this time.:D :D

Honorary Bloke
6th December 2006, 08:50 AM
since tacking up woodworking, I have been developing small pimples in the inside of my nose. Usually one or two at a time and while it is only mildly uncomfortable I am concerned about long term problems. Nasal Cancer being one of them.

Maaate! That's far too much information for a family-orientated forum. :eek: See your quack and think about keeping the results between the two of you.;)

echnidna
6th December 2006, 09:42 AM
You might try putting a fan to one side and back a bit from the work area as that will blow a lot of the dust and fumes away from your breathing zone.

I'd still use a respirator. At minimum a twin cartridge with painters filters and always keep spare filters.

bennylaird
6th December 2006, 09:47 AM
Used a respirator when spraying RAAF aircraft paint on a model, used acetone to thin it. But next day all the skin on my face where it wasn't covered decided to peel off. Had my warning so always cover up these days.

Bleedin Thumb
6th December 2006, 09:53 AM
Look at my avatar.

The ciggy is optional.

normanjr
30th January 2007, 04:08 PM
There's plenty of different respirators out there...keep borrowing them until you find one you feel comfortable with and then invest in one of your own. Aside from possibly reducing the incidence of nose zits, your lungs will thank you in the long run for using a respirator.

abitfishy
30th January 2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe snort clearasil? :) :)

2shane
18th April 2007, 07:42 PM
I am a darksider and so I do not get exposed to huge array of dust however since tacking up woodworking, I have been developing small pimples in the inside of my nose. Usually one or two at a time and while it is only mildly uncomfortable I am concerned about long term problems. Nasal Cancer being one of them..

Hmm these are my favourite ones to squeeze..... next to the ones inside the ear...

There are some really neato instruments you can get to hook out the dermal plug... or pierce the plug or exert pressure under the puss, or you can kind of gouge them out with a fine instrument - like a tiny teaspoon - from the side and by driving it under......

Fun for the home surgeon........

Eucy oil smeared across them helps ripen them faster...

Alcohol to hose the pimple hole out... pack salt crystals into it... dry it out...

Ahhhhhhhhh hygene!!!!! :U

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOH333Br4IM&mode=related&search=)

flippinchippin
18th April 2007, 09:29 PM
You could try one of the pressurised respirators, they use filtered air from your compressor, no more gasping for air. Can be a little expensive, but hey, what price health?

2shane
24th April 2007, 05:21 AM
Naaaa actually I run my compressor on OLIVE oil.. it's an excellent non toxic lubricant, and I cool the air, and remove the condensate, and then feed the air to be breathed through a pressuriseable and refillable cannister, containing activated charcoal.... (refilled from dismantled cartridges or bags of activated charcoal) and then into a modified respirator.....

Has pix.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=498310#post498310

scooter
24th April 2007, 08:36 PM
Stick to the topic please :)