PDA

View Full Version : kitchen benchtops - polyurethane over painted MDF

aryanmckay
8th May 2003, 02:00 PM
My husband and I are trying to make a funky but cheap kitchen benchtop. Once of the ideas we're tossing around is painting MDF with a metalic silvery charcoal paint and then coating it with polyurethane. Does anyone know if we would encounter any problems with the polyurethane taking to the surface?

Thanks
Aryan

Shane Watson
8th May 2003, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, not really somthing I would recommend, but it could work. just make sure you seal unbeleavibly well around the sink area or anywhere where water will be constantly. You wouldn't believe the things I have seen in my line of work when it comes to kitchen bench tops.

What you need to do is go see a good professional in regards to whether the poly-u will adhere to the paint. I would stick to the one brand for the two types of finish's and in all honesty from me experience anything that will adhere to is most likly the same product in anycase so why put a coat of clear over the colour. You can get pigmented poly-u quite easily.

Frankly there ain't no better kitchen benchtop than a cheap nasty laminted one. you can bash it, splash it, and whatever every else it and it still retains its as new look......

HTH

Shane..

soundman
11th May 2003, 10:42 PM
As shane says laminate is the best kitchen bench.
Have a look at the range of funky laminates availabble now before you commit.

back to the poly or paint.

Most paving paint is polyeurathane and I have had good sucess with it on timber. I use estipol sanding sealer under it.

Berger jet dry comes in a good range of colours and you wouldnt have to put clear over it.
Sprays well and rubs back well too.

Once its dagged I supose you could just knock it back & refinish.

cheers

Try on a test piece first.