PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Rosewood available

Flowboy
6th December 2006, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone,

While I was at Mathews Timber yesterday morning, I was told of a mysterious stranger who claimed to have "a lot" of Brazilian Rosewood.
As I am up to my armpits in other stuff, I didn't pursue the issue, however, they have a contact number and I'm guessing he must be somewhere in or around Melbourne. If you are interested (and I guess I'd cry if you aren't), I suggest going to Mathews and asking in the yard for Ian. He will be able to help you. You can use my name if it will help. Just correlate me with timber in his memory by saying I sold him a router.

I really hope this is of use to everyone.

Regards,

Rob

ciscokid
12th December 2006, 04:06 AM
Nice stuff, to be sure. Be careful, though. It almost put me in the hospital. Seems some folks can't work with it. I must be one of them.

old_picker
12th December 2006, 04:35 PM
What happened??

kiwigeo
12th December 2006, 06:48 PM
I used to get mild contact dermatitis on my hands and arms while sanding down Indian Rosewood. I now wear a dust mask and gloves while doing same and havent had any more problems. Ebony and spanish cedar also have the same affect on me.

gratay
12th December 2006, 07:56 PM
fine wood dust of any variety wouldn't be to good for you...
I wore a dust mask every day and still experienced health problems while working in the industry...
for a year i experienced cracked and bleeding lips ( i could hardly smile or they would just split) that would go away on weekends and come back monday morning....no-one could work it out...i went to herbalists,naturapaths, western doctors, chinese doctors ...
I knew it had something to do with either the timber or the fact i was positioned close to paint-shop.....

I don't think the paper masks do much at all ...I plan on getting one thats more of a filter respirator before i start with a lot of sanding although the eyes are the easiest part of the body to absorb nasties...

Blackwood is also known for testicular cancer.....

Jackspira
12th December 2006, 08:07 PM
I don't think the paper masks do much at all ...I plan on getting one thats more of a filter respirator before i start with a lot of sanding although the eyes are the easiest part of the body to absorb nasties...

Blackwood is also known for testicular cancer.....

I recomend a Sundstrom for the face, as for the testicles...not sure!

old_picker
12th December 2006, 08:17 PM
What about the triton face mask respiorator unit??
Anyone used one?

joe greiner
12th December 2006, 11:37 PM
Dryness alone can be a sumbish. Hand lotion and chapstick help. I once worked with an old chap in the ornamental plaster game. He used petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on his hands after a day in dry plaster up to his elbows. Seemed to work well for him.

Joe

craigb
20th December 2006, 10:38 AM
What about the triton face mask respiorator unit??
Anyone used one?

I have one. I wouldn't buy another one.

Uncomfortable and noisy. The built in face shield is probably o.k. if you are a wood turner. I'm not.